Fly Fusion Forums

Soffits Question...

Anyone experienced with this sort of thing?!

I'm interested in getting new soffits, fascia and eaves troughs and have been getting a few quotes...

It seems that they are just going to cover the existing wood soffits with aluminum (adding additional vents, as well), and I want all the wood removed... Is this standard procedure or should I get the quote to include removal of all the wood?!

Also if anyone does this or has someone to recommend, please PM me...

Thanks,

Peter

Yeah some of the old fascia is rotted, so they will replace it, but I'm more concerned about the soffits... I want the old wood soffits removed/replaced and was wondering if that standard as they just quoted capping over it...

Thanks,

P

If the old fascia is so rotten that it won't hold fasteners then replace it.

In new home construction the fascia just goes over unprotected dimensional wood.

Other (Stucco)!

P

If you're going to get new soffit and fascia, I would definitely remove the wood and do it right. You can probably do that yourself.

What's covering your house? Vinyl siding or other?

Capping over the old to me is the lazy way, easy money. Soffit and fascia are pretty much cosmetic - short of the vent holes in the soffit which are necessary.

If it were my home, i'd tear off the old and get it done properly but it depends on your budget. At least then you can inspect what's under it and fix any rot or problem spots. The main concern would be the stucco - it may have to be trimmed to accept the J-trim that the soffit fits into. Would make for a cleaner job instead of butting the J against the stucco.

Yeah some of the old fascia is rotted, so they will replace it, but I'm more concerned about the soffits... I want the old wood soffits removed/replaced and was wondering if that standard as they just quoted capping over it...

Thanks,

P

If you remove the old soffit then leave it out better venting, but i can't see it being rotten unless you had a roof leak.Most guys just cut holes in your old soffit (probably 1/4" ply) to aid in venting.You'll have to find out how your attic insulation is installed.In new homes there is no wood soffit just a piece of cardboard known as an insulation stop that goes between the trusses.There has to be a space for the air to flow properly.

Eaves troughs have been leaking in the corners for a few years so only rotting at the corners and the fascia needs to be replaced in a lot of spots so I figured I'd just replace it all!!

P

If you remove the old soffit then leave it out better venting, but i can't see it being rotten unless you had a roof leak.Most guys just cut holes in your old soffit (probably 1/4" ply) to aid in venting.You'll have to find out how your attic insulation is installed.In new homes there is no wood soffit just a piece of cardboard known as an insulation stop that goes between the trusses.There has to be a space for the air to flow properly.