Fly Fusion Forums

Which Line?

jasonvilly

So I won the auction for the 14ft 9wt TFO rod.

Been doing some research and I think I have come up with two choices that would work. Or I could be totally wrong. :huh:

Let me know either way. Need a line before I attempt to learn.

I contacted TFO and they recommended 550 grain short belly

Option1

Rio skagit multi tip 550 grain. $174

Option 2

SA Mastery Series Spey Shorthead Multi Tip. On sale for $90 regular $174. They don't have the grain weight of 550 but call it a 9wt line. Is this the same as 550 grain? Google wouldn't tell me. I like this deal just for the price, but ultimately will pick what will work best with the rod.

If my research is right I think these lines would work? Am I correct or totally wrong?

I truly know nothing yet....but it will come.

Where do you plan on fishing it and for what? That would probably be a good rod for chinooks.

Take a look at this for some line recommendations as a starting point:

http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/file/201...line%20recs.pdf

Before you go out and buy a line you can always go down to Fish Tales and borrow one of their kits to try casting a few different lines on it to see which one you prefer rather than have someone else tell you what they prefer.

Plan on using it for a Steelheading trip in late august.

I like the idea of the kit, but I have not even picked up a spey rod let alone try to cast one. I would have no idea about whether something is right or not. I just wanted to get something that would be workable for the time being so that I can practice before heading out to BC

Plan on using it for a Steelheading trip in late august.

I like the idea of the kit, but I have not even picked up a spey rod let alone try to cast one. I would have no idea about whether something is right or not. I just wanted to get something that would be workable for the time being so that I can practice before heading out to BC

Thats a big rod...both of those lines would work fine for any skagit type work...I would also recommend that you think about a more friendly mid-belly line for smoother casting and even some Dry Fly Work.. a Snowbee 2D,Air Flo Tactical and others..one of the nicest fly lines to learn on is Beulah's Elixir Spey line...it is one of those lines that always works and opens up many doors for casting

C