Fly Fusion Forums

Help Fishing Mountain Lakes

fisher26

Heading to a mountain lake this weekend what flies should I bring and how should I rig them up? I'm not a big lake guy so make sure to state the obvious, I assume you just cast it out there with a indy or a dry fly let it sink and strike when you see action... Not sure though. Are streamers useful for mountain lakes or should nymphs be good?

Thanks

Heading to a mountain lake this weekend what flies should I bring and how should I rig them up? I'm not a big lake guy so make sure to state the obvious, I assume you just cast it out there with a indy or a dry fly let it sink and strike when you see action... Not sure though. Are streamers useful for mountain lakes or should nymphs be good?

Thanks

This time of year, try small leeches/buggers (size 10 and down) under an indie. Give it a slight pull every 20-30 seconds or a slow hand twist retrieve. Vary the depth. Also try waterboatmen either on the surface or below. Really small 1in strips almost as fast as you can (if subsurface, less aggressive if on top). If those don't work, then mix it up. If one thing/fly isn't working, don't be lazy. Change it.

Good luck. Let us know how you did.