Fly Fusion Forums

Dslr Lens Recommendations

Got my new rebel t3i, and have the 17-85mm canon lense... What would be a good next lens for me? Looking for something for shooting close up of fish eating... Would the 70-300mm be ok?

Also, what's a tripod I should be looking at, any reccs?

Thanks guys

Guest JayVee

For tripods, I went with the Manfrotto 190XPROB and 496RC2 ball head combination. After reading countless reviews and articles, this was the cheapest recommended tripod. At the time, Memory Express had the best price here in town, better than The Camera Store and Saneal. It'll set you back three bills but DON'T cheap out on a tripod. Those hundred dollar jobs at London Drugs and other places are all but useless.

As for the lens I was told and read that the 55-250mm is a better telephoto than the 70-300mm. I don't know what kind of budget you have but the holy grail in the Canon line has a red ring, ie, the L series. In my opinion the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM is a steal of a deal at around $700. There's no IS but you'll double that price for that feature. The image stabilization would be awesome on that lens though. I've thought about this decision for many moons and still don't know which way I'd go.

EDIT: I missed JV's post. He knows Canon glass better then me.

A 70-300 is a good range. (Or what JV said...250 mm is not too bad..but limiting for birds.)

One issue with "rising trout" photos is that the light is often not so good...some of the best rising you will see will be in late day and faster lenses are better but the price tags get a little silly. I do not know from Canon lenses but you can probably buy two grades of 70-300 lenses that are f4.5/5.6.. one will be $300 (Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 III USM) and the other will be $800 (Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM) because it has better glass. Canon makes an f2.8 70-200 that is about $2500. This is much faster but only 200 mm but you can also get a teleconverter for it. You can spend as much money as you want. You would not be unhappy with the Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. The more you pay the better the glass. Good glass lasts for many years. I still use lenses that are 20 years old.

You want at least 300 mm unless you also get a tele converter with a 200mm.

As for tripods. STURDY legs. Take your camera into the shop and try some heads for ease of use. A good solid tripod with a good head will be expensive. It also will last you 30 years. My Manfrotto is 21 years old now..it is showing some wear .. but so am I. ;)

This rising series was taken with a 70-300 at 280 mm. I was far from the truck and had no polarizer with me. It was in full sun. The cutty was strange..seemed to have no fear and yet was at a hard-fished hole.

cuttrise3371-0.jpg

Okay ... where? ;)

It was a goofy fish. Right out in the open ... right where the trail reached the pool ... in a lazy backwater that was basically smooth. Crazy...two of us stood and watched it for a few minutes. It ate EVERYTHING including a small twig which it ejected afterward. It ate caddisflies and mayflies. It was anything but selective. Was a hoot to watch.

cuttrise3375-0.jpg

Guest JayVee

Remember that a teleconverter will half your maximum aperture, so your f4 lens becomes an f8. That's one reason why the f2.8 lenses are so desirable. And not all telephotos will work with the teleconverter. Make sure you look into that if you have that route in mind. Like Clive said, good glass is megabucks, but well worth it if you're half serious about photography.

After you buy your telephoto your next lens should be a macro. Consider these Kenko extension tubes before you buy that:

Screenshot2011-04-04at104837PM.png

These will turn every lens in your bag into marco lenses for well under $300. These tubes plus the tripod I mentioned would be awesome for taking bug shots:

Screenshot2011-04-04at105306PM.png

"Remember that a teleconverter will half your maximum aperture, so your f4 lens becomes an f8."

This is very important point and holds true for a 2X converter. You can also get a 1.4X converter making a 200mm into a 280 mm and you only lose one f stop (I think it is one).

"And not all telephotos will work with the teleconverter." VERY important. Need to check before buying.

Good points JayVee.

BTW ..bcude knows the spot! ;)

Bcube, one piece of advice when buying glass is to buy low and sell high. I'm not sure about the Canon glass but the price of the some glass bounces up and down drastically.

Lens Tests and Reviews Sites

http://www.photodo.com/

http://www.photozone.de

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/2

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/digital_...s_reviews.shtml

http://lens-reviews.com/Lens-Reviews/Reviews/Lenses.html

Not sure if this is the same point that Weedy was trying to make, but I suggest buying used. Its amazing how much a few nicks and scratches to the exterior (barrel, lens hood) of the lens can lower the cost of a lens. Just ensure that the actual glass itself is scratch free! Also there is a code for each lens that tells you when and where it was made, so you can get an idea of how old it is as well. I saved atleast 350-400 off my Canon 24-105mm L by buying used.

Kijiji best bet?

All depends how much faith you have in people over the interwebs.....I purchased mine on http://photography-on-the.net/ forums - I made sure the guy that I bought from had a reputable seller rating and provided pics of the lens. Kijiji is also a good bet as well, just need to have patience and check it everyday for the lens your looking for!