Fly Fusion Forums

What Line To Use For Whitefish And Lake Trout ?

What line would you use for monster lake trout about 28 pounds and white fish up to 10 ? Im going once the ice is gone and im not sure what line to use for these guys ?

40 lb. test tiger wire, a rapala and a 6 ft. bait caster...........;)

I will assume because this is a fly fishing site that you will be using fly fishing equipment, so I will answer with that in mind. I have not fished lake trout or whitefish of the size you mentioned but I do fish Chinook and Coho Salmon every year of that size and sometimes larger. When fishing for Chinook in rivers I use 12lb. tippets for the most part, occasionally 15lb. with 20lb. backing on my reel. I have two other reels set up with 30lb. backing but I still fish 12lb. most of the time, however I could go up to 20 to 25lb. if need be. A lot of force can be applied to a fish using 12 lb. without it breaking. I would use the same leader and backing for lakers, and I'm sure they would be more than adequate. My main concern is that I can break a fish off should it becomes necessary, without loosing all my backing and fly line, because sometimes in salt water larger critters will take your salmon and head for parts unknown :lol:

What line would you use for monster lake trout about 28 pounds and white fish up to 10 ? Im going once the ice is gone and im not sure what line to use for these guys ?

Where are you going? Did you get the numbers on sizes from the Alberta Fishing Guide? Ghost Reservoir? If so then don't expect many large fish, let alone many fish at all. Sorry if this isn't where your going, but it does sound like Ghost.

Where are you going? Did you get the numbers on sizes from the Alberta Fishing Guide? Ghost Reservoir? If so then don't expect many large fish, let alone many fish at all. Sorry if this isn't where your going, but it does sound like Ghost.

Sounds like Lake Minnewanka to me. And if it is the sizes sound right.

Ya i got it from the fishing guide says 28 pound lakers and 8 to 10 pound whites. It's ghost resevoir

Over the last couple of decades we have been running 2-downriggers and a topwater line in June on Cold Lake with 3 of use in the boat. The top water line is a dry line or a slow sink. June on Cold Lake has the lakers feeding in the top 30 feet or less on many occasions. The lakers are loaded with Cisco or Tulibee. It works well. The leader on the dry line is usually a 0X with about 5 feet of 0X or 1X tippet attached. Flies are tied to resemble Cisco, so lots of white, blue, small amount of pink and silver flashabou.