Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Trout And Whitefish

What flies would use to to catch lake trout and whitefish ?

The only fly that i have ever cought whitfish on is a san juan worm (havent really fished for them) but i think as far as whitfish go you can catch them on most things that you would catch trout on.

Guest Jeremie

Lake whitefish = midges, prince nymphs, GRHE. Any nymph about size 10-20. Dries size 14-20

Lake trout = Deceivers, Zonkers, Bow river buggers, Double bunnies

Guest Jeremie

"You can use most of these flies on other species as well, such as Gerard Rainbows,Lake Trout, Bass, Walleye, Peacocks and Muskie.

But keep in mind I am no expert but I am consistent in catching both of these species as targeted fish. " Bull trout fly thread.

Everything you explained was amazing information until that comment. If you have experience share it. But keep in mind no other guides or fisherman with experience under their belt is going around saying (this being an example) "I've been fishing the bow for all my life but you probably know more then me" Which is not needed to be said.

Austinator,

If the whitefish are in a lake, chironomids work great. Haven't done it a lot but it works just fine.

There was a TV show done in one of the irrigation lakes on chironomid fishing for whites. They pounded on them.

One thing we found is that revival is tough. Even though we yarded them out and got them back quickly but we did have a floater that required further attention. Finally all of them made it.

catch ya'

Don

I've caught whites in the summer on prince nymphs under an indicator. Takes were super light so it was easier in really clear water where you could see them inhale the fly.

This winter, I've had really good luck icefishing at Gull with a wire sanjuan worm and even better on a scud imitation. I opened the stomachs of several that I kept and they were full of scuds. Pheasant tail nymph has been productive as well.

Cheers.

For lake whitefish try small green buggers and mini leaches if your on the move. I dragged around a 2 fly rig at Little Bow Park last summer in my fatcat with a large streamer up front, trailed by the small green mini leach (size 10 or 12 i think). Was shocked to see how many whites I was picking up.

Ok weel... for

lake white fish:

-A bead Head royal coachmen soft hackle is awesome some days.

-Also try a beadhead hares ear soft hackle.

-Sometimes they will hit small streamers like small bead headed wooly buggers but they have to be realy agressive or in large groups(FIGHTING FOR FOOD).

-A Prince Nymph is great sometimes

-A great hook for lake white fish is a size 12-16 bead head chironomid but it should be a bright yellow with a gold bead. Sometimes an orange or copper wire rib helps. Put it about 1-2 ft off the bottom and just very very almost rediculusly slowly wiggle it in.

Rocky mountain White fish:

-They LOVE Scuds and sows but they have to be right down deep.

- They also will hit Bead head Pheasant tails pretty good. If you use read thread and use it to make a throat they seem to work better.

ALWAYS TRY TO ADD BEAD HEADS!!