Fly Fusion Forums

It seems, I hear daily in the news of new developements that are sprouting up south of Calgary looking for water sources to satisfy the needs of developers. High River and Okotoks areas seem to be the fastest growing areas around Calgary in need of H2O. Where is the water going to come from? The Bow...doubtful due to the fact that it is already overtaxed for what the City of Calgary and dowstream areas require. The Sheep? Well, I have seen the drawdown of a pristine watersource mid-summer where is is left to warm a to close 70' as it is left as a trickle of what it was in the Spring. The Highwood? Well no, same story. When will SOMEONE (read Gov't) step in and not allow more development unless they are either required to find an underground aquifer and put in place water treatment plants/pumping stations before the area is approved for housing?

I am not an expert on development or water issues, and don't claim to be. But, as a person who is concerned about water rights, drawdown of our streams and the like, I pain hearing about proposed pipelines to transport water to areas that are in need from sources that are already taxed to the limit.

FHD