Fly Fusion Forums

Extended Body Fly's

Garhan

I really dislike tying extended body flies made from deer hair. Yes, I know they work well and float well, but still are bothersome to tie. So last week after watching a few videos on them I decided to take up an old challenge from a buddy. He asked me to tie him a assortment of flies. Starting with a #16 extended body Adams (jokingly). This was a challenge to me. He got all 300 flies but not a single extended body. This year he will get the new design I came up with and it should be a surprise to him.

Here are a few I have tied so far. They are easy to tie, durable, float very well, versatile in tying techniques. You can tie any traditional pattern on the base body, palmer it, rib it, dub it, use it on Mayflies, Stonefly Adults, Damsel fly adults and nymphs.....etc...

IMG_5230-2.jpg

• 3 months later...
I really dislike tying extended body flies made from deer hair. Yes, I know they work well and float well, but still are bothersome to tie. So last week after watching a few videos on them I decided to take up an old challenge from a buddy. He asked me to tie him a assortment of flies. Starting with a #16 extended body Adams (jokingly). This was a challenge to me. He got all 300 flies but not a single extended body. This year he will get the new design I came up with and it should be a surprise to him.

Here are a few I have tied so far. They are easy to tie, durable, float very well, versatile in tying techniques. You can tie any traditional pattern on the base body, palmer it, rib it, dub it, use it on Mayflies, Stonefly Adults, Damsel fly adults and nymphs.....etc...

IMG_5230-2.jpg

Great job man !

Great flies Gary!!

I'm not against using synthetics in my patterns, there are a number of pre-made extended bodies on the market that work really well, and I always keep a few patterns in my boxes.

This is a damselfly/mayfly nymph (callibaetis) that I've had some success on over the years.

IMG_1687.jpg

Body is larva lace with a few strands of antron and flash pulled through, very durable.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...