Fly Fusion Forums

Insurance Write-off

I had an accident the resulted in some relatively minor damage to a 2000 4runner and it sounds like the insurance co. considers it a write-off.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive shop to get a quote at? Anyone ever get any autobody work done in the States? I'm thinking it would be cheaper but need to investigate further...

I would like to get the vehicle repaired, I think its in good shape mechanically. Has anyone had success reversing an insurance company's assessment of a vehicle being a write-off? My understanding is that the only moving parts are the estimated replacement value and the repair estimate...

Experiences and advice are appreciated.

As I'm sure you know, a write off is when the vehicle repairs cost more then its value. I think you can still get it repaired but it depends on if the frame is bent (I think). Also, I think you can buy the vehicle back from the insurance company (or something like that - curbers do that sort of thing all the time) and repair it legally... But as you alluded to it depends on how much that will cost...

As an aside... A co-worker had her 2010 Rogue totaled when it was parked outside on the street at the office in November. It was a write off. Insurance impound lot guys also stole a bunch of stuff from her car and insurance didn't count half of her extras and then said she was responsible for the deductible (yeah right)... Make sure you document everything and get an exact (or as close to it as possible) independent appraisal & comparison in which to value yours (Including similar milage). You can negotiate with insurance companies. Oh and make sure you watch last weeks CBC Marketplace!!

Sorry my post doesn't answer your questions about auto body work in the US...

P

As has already been mentioned, you can ask the adjuster for the option to buy back your vehicle for the salvage value. If you go that route it is my understanding that you won't be able to register the vehicle until all the damage has been repaired and it has been inspected and deemed road worthy. Chances are the value of the vehicle will be based on the "book value" (I think it is based on the black book value as opposed to the blue book value, but I could be wrong) and/or the recent sale price of similar vehicles in similar condition. The bottom line is the insurance company is only obligated to pay the lesser of the cost to repair the vehicle or it's actual cash value. If you think the value you are being offered is unfair you can look at online classifieds, auto trader type publications, etc to find examples that you feel better represent the value of your vehicle and ask the adjuster to reconsider on that basis. If all else fails, you can usually request third party arbitration.

I was hit head on by a young feller back in Newfoundland and they totalled my ford - thank god for seatbelts is all I can say.

If I recall, the buyback was 10% of the value that the insurance company was offering you - i'm going back 10 years here but i fixed the car and re-insured it no questions asked. They didn't even ask for an inspection but I imagine that's changed now. The vehicle isn't really changing hands, it's yours and you're buying it back so I think the rules are a little different than someone buying a salvage title.

just be aware that many scrap yards have a cap on car parts, anything more than 6 years old and they don't carry parts for it. Make sure you can get all the parts you need before buying back.

You have to ask yourself is the vehicle really worth it - there was alot more damage done to my car than I really expected.