Fly Fusion Forums

Looking To Borrow A Line

I'm getting geared up for the trip to Mexico this summer and I need to find a line for my new rod, I'm thinking about the SA Redfish, Rio Outbound Tropical or some other short front taper tropical line. Going to be targeting rooster fish and similar things from shore.

Thing is I'd like to try them out before I throw down the bucks for a line I don't like, again. Does anybody have something similar I could borrow to chuck around in the park for a bit?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

if your pulling streamers and larger plugs i would recommend the Rio Clouser. it can take a big sink tip and heavy streamers no problem.

From another forum:

If you are only going to take one fly line, I would go with an intermediate. I have been down there several times and always fished tarpon intermediate lines. I have friends who fish down there that like a faster sinking shooting head. It is kind of a matter of personal preference and fishing style. I like the intermediate because it can allow the fly to "settle" before the fish is on it and when you pause it, the fly remains neutrally buoyant and doesn't sink (which a real baitfish does). That is if you fish unweighted flies (which I mostly have done for roosters). You can fish weighted flies and many roosters are caught that way, but I have always fished unweighted. An intermediate also allows you to fish very shallow areas which there are a lot of down there. There are many situations where the faster sinking line would be an advantage though such as in drop offs, rough surf and windy conditions. If possible, I would bring both lines. As far as floating, that would be my last choice. There are scenarios where they apply, but I wouldn't bother with it. Realistically you are taking a big risk if you only take one fly line anyway. If it gets cut, stuck on coral, a fish takes you into your backing and it cuts off etc. you can't just stop in the local fly shop....As far as a casting adjustment, the intermediate would be a lot more similar to a floater than the fast sinking shooting head type line. Shooting heads and fast sinkers load very far forward in the line and won't cast if you have too much line out so they take adjusting. Hope this helps. Good luck, and let us know how you do!

When I targeted roosters this past April, my guide suggested, and I bought and used, a Forty-Plus Coldwater Salt intermediate. I also bought the sinking, but didn't use it nearly as much as the intermediate. You could easily get away with only the intermediate.

I know the coldwater salt sounds a bit odd, but it performed excellent for a week of roosters, jacks and other fish. I don't have a 9, but do have a either a 10 or 11, I forget.

What weight rod are you bringing? If you have a 10, I would suggest at least that. I brought either a 10 or an 11, and thought my rod was going to snap on a few...and I didn't even land a grande!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the replies.

The rod I am planning on taking is a Greys 8/9 weight I picked up at the show recently. My thinking was that I didn't want to buy something heavier and have it hang on the wall in between tropical trips, the 8/9 I could use for Pike or Steelhead. However having cast the rod a bit now with a Rio Mainstream WF8 I am thinking the rod is much more of an 8 than a 9. Coincidently I am also changing jobs right now and I will have a good chunk more money available before I go so I may look at a heavier rod, anyone ever try an Echo Ion?

I'll also have some money available to get a guide for a day or two. I was looking at these guys:

http://www.thereelbaja.com/cabo_san_lucas_fishing.html

Tightline, did you mostly fish from the beach? Would you recommend the guide you used? Thanks for the line recommendation, trying to find one.

Midgetwaiter-I sent you a PM.

Lorney, considering you're from shore I would stick with the single hand. The waves really play with your line and, in all honesty, you have your line in your hand (or stripping basket), looking for the roosters and you will have one, maybe two, shots at them and can only get in one false cast (two at best). I was fine with the 9' rods I brought, but as I mentioned to Midgetwaiter, you won't want anything under a 10wt.

To anyone that has fished down there from the beach would there be any advantage to using a switch rod or a 10' rod?