Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Winter Steelhead Advice

thinatsu

I've been pounding away on the Vedder/Chilliwack river on my days off but haven't had any luck. I'm using a compact skagit setup with about 12 feet of T14 and a 3 - 4 foot leader and a weighted intruder to present my fly as deep as I can. I've also been throwing in big mends and stepping down with the swing to let it really sink. I've been fishing water that is about walking speed too. Frustrating when all the gear guys are hooking into fish around me and I'm still coming up empty. What am I doing wrong and/or missing. Any Help would be appreciated.

Steelseeker

What part of the river are you fishing?

I would assume most of the guys hooking up aren't fly fishing?

I would also suggest checking a BC fly fishing forum.

Traditionally this time of year is more diffucult as a fly angler on the vedder as it's packed for the meat fishery. march-may is much better

I've been fishing about mid river, and yes, most of the other guys are gear fishing. I know that the fish aren't as agressive right now because of the water temperature and that in a month or so they'll be more likely to chase a fly, but with the time I've spent on the water I'm starting to wonder if there is something else I can do to entice a strike.

I've been fishing about mid river, and yes, most of the other guys are gear fishing. I know that the fish aren't as agressive right now because of the water temperature and that in a month or so they'll be more likely to chase a fly, but with the time I've spent on the water I'm starting to wonder if there is something else I can do to entice a strike.

Mostly hatchery fish this time of year in there, they don't take a fly like a wild fish will. If chucking flies on the Vedder this time of year, I would say stay low. The run right above the train bridge in town is great swinging water, as well as a couple runs above and below that spot. Also, near the top end of the reservoir, when you hit the dyke (on Wilson Road I think its called?), turn left, park near the gravel pit at the corner, hike down, there is some good fly water in that section...good luck though, this time of year, she is a foul mistress for the fly...