Fly Fusion Forums

New Waterproof Camera Is Announced

Bandi

In case you are thinking about buying one of those waterproof cameras choosing became more difficult.

Panasonic just announced the new version (DMC-TS3) of its rugged P&S camera:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1101/11012511panasonicts3.asp

From DPReview:

"Panasonic has announced the Lumix DMC-TS3 rugged compact camera (known as the FT3 in Europe), with built-in GPS, altimeter, barometer and a compass. It sports a new body design and and better waterproofing upto depths of 12m as against 10m of its predecessor the TS2. Like the TS2 it is also dustproof, shockproof against a drop of up to 2m, and freezeproof down to -10°C. The 12MP CCD-based camera with a 2.7 inch LCD and 28-128mm equiv. lens features 1080i60 HD movies (from 30p sensor output) and comes with the company's latest 3D photo mode."

I miss the GPS from my current cameras, but some of the features are a bit far fetched (IMO):

"The Panasonic LUMIX TS3 also features the new Panasonic 3D Photo mode, which produces a realistic 3D photo by taking 20 consecutive photos and overlays the two best to create a 3D image that can then be played on a Panasonic VIERA 3D HDTV. The format of 3D images is compatible with MPO, and can also be played back on other MPO-compatible equipment such as a televisions, digital photo frames and printers. Panasonic also adds the LUMIX Image Uploader, for seamless and instant sharing via Facebook (for digital photos) or YouTube (for videos). Users can checkmark the photo or video files they want to share, connect it to a PC with the included USB cable or by inserting the SD Memory Card directly into the PC’s SD Card slot, and then the uploading automatically launches with an easy-to-follow menu option."

What is your opinion? What more do you (fly-fisherman) want from a waterproof P&S?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yay, its about time some one else put out a water proof camera that doesnt look like a kids camera! Iw my w80 ever craps out i'll give this one a try

yay, its about time some one else put out a water proof camera that doesnt look like a kids camera! Iw my w80 ever craps out i'll give this one a try

I've been not so patiently waiting for these because of the GPS tagging, that is a killer feature for me. I work for a Panasonic dealer so as soon as i hear anything about them I'll report back.

This camera sounds like the cat's ass.. Almost has to many bells and whistles. I'm a technology geek, but when it comes to a P&S. i'm pretty simple.

As long as it's waterproof and freeze resistant (i only say resistant because even the best cameras should freeze in -30.lol)

Right now i'm rocking the pentax Optio. Bought it on ebay for $115. It works great for just taking pictures of fish. Also take 720p HD video. IMO not to bad for the price.

But if i had my hands on the lumix.. i wouldn't be one to complain

any idea of how much this toy would cost?

No price information yet (at least I did not find). On several review pages, price said to be announced end of February 2011.

Not expect it to be cheap! Panasonic cameras are priced over the competitors cameras. Some people say, it worth the extra bucks.

• 4 weeks later...

The price is out:

(http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=4663)

The Pentax Optio WG-1 will be offered in black or purple models, and the WG-1 GPS will be available in black, yellow, or green. They will both ship in April 2011, with the WG-1 GPS priced at $399.95 and the WG-1 at $349.95.

Today, I saw the new Panasonic TS-10 (FT10). It looks pretty much the TS-2 and feels OK in hand. The picture quality looked nice (only checked on LCD!).

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup/press...on2010_3.html#5

;) Remember to "save for web" when posting images (from this GPS-enabled camera) on the internet. Or we will all know exactly where the pictures of HUGE fish were taken. :P

Looks like a nice fishing camera.

thats pricing in the usa... expect at least 100 more here.

That is often a good guess. :( However, it looks that the german prices are quite similar:

€309.90 for Pentax Optio WG-1 black / gray

http://www.top-foto.de/item.php?id=PENOWG1...bvpi77n336hc2u2

€349,90 for Pentax Optio WG-1 GPS black / gray

http://www.top-foto.de/item.php?id=PENOWG1...lkrkstd7vq6md63

Still, it's not cheap. I hope to see some test results. If anyone buys it, let us know your opinion.