Fly Fusion Forums

Anchor Ice

I went for a walk down in Fish Creek this morning, since it's still too cold for an old fart like me to actual fish. I noticed that there is a lot more anchor ice in the river than I remember in the past. It made me wonder about potential impacts on next years fishery. Streams that regularly form anchor ice are usually not productive due to the coating of the bottom habitats of invertebrates and hence killing off the bulk of the trout food. I guess we'll just have to watch what happens. Does anyone else feel the anchor ice is more extensive than usual this winter?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

might be a problem further down south where the river really locks up but i think the city section will be fine. But its a big river with lots of flow so i cant imagine any real permanent damage happening, the bio diversity is great enough to move back into any "kill zones" (i dont know what to call the affected area).

just my 2C

The anchor ice is always very extensive by this time every year up here in Bowness, and the fishing is pretty much the same year after year. Not as good fishing as down at Fish creek, but pretty decent nonetheless. It just makes the conditions that much harder on the trout to survive, so I leave them alone until March. Trout in the Bow are indeed hardy and tough creatures, to survive these conditions every year.