Fly Fusion Forums

Banging On The Bongos Like A Chimpanzee

After 26 years of airplay the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council decides Dire Straits' 'Money for Nothing' should be censored.

http://home.mytelus.com/telusen/portal/New...;CatID=National

http://www.cbsc.ca/english/decisions/2011/110112.php

CAB Code of Ethics, Clause 2 – Human Rights

Recognizing that every person has the right to full and equal recognition and to enjoy certain fundamental rights and freedoms, broadcasters shall ensure that their programming contains no abusive or unduly discriminatory material or comment which is based on matters of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status or physical or mental disability.

Get over it.......

Censor what a great thing (Sarcasm)

Here is a story for you.

At my work we used to sell magazines, alot of them where technology related but we did carry a couple fitness magazine. Well we had a customer come into one of the stores and found the fitnesse magazines to be offensive (A girl on the front cover wearing a bikini)

Long story short she threatened to take this to the media and our head office decieded that instead of having a huge problem they would just remove it from the shelfs and no long sell magazines.

Where does it end? The word "queen" can be interpreted as derogatory as well.

But it's all for the greater good right?

In a related story, All Queen's music has been banned as well.

I had always thought Sting wrote the song, and Dire Straits recorded it. Guess not, Sting just sang on it, and contributed the "I want my MTV line".

"The lead character in "Money for Nothing" is a guy who works in the hardware department in a television/custom kitchen/refrigerator/microwave appliance store. He's singing the song. I wrote the song when I was actually in the store. I borrowed a bit of paper and started to write the song down in the store. I wanted to use a lot of the language that the real guy actually used when I heard him, because it was more real...." quote from Mark Knopfler.

Anyway, seems rather silly to ban it after all these years.