Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing For Gold

Guest Sundancefisher
Just wondering if anyone here ever pans for gold on fishing trips. I gather there isn't much to be found in Alberta. I hear the NSR has some gold dust in the gravel bars. I have some old pans of my father's, but never tried it out.

I have my grandfather's old pans... We had found some gold flakes in the North Sask in Edmonton...not much...but interesting. I heard there is more upstream of Devon and some people set up sluices.

Came across a guy panning for gold at McKinnon this summer. Said he'd panned about $20.00 worth. I dunno if that was true or if he figured since he was talking to a fisherman he had the right to embellish the truth... anyhow his little boat was called the s.s. minnow, so he had a great sense of humor to be sure.

Came across a guy panning for gold at McKinnon this summer. Said he'd panned about $20.00 worth. I dunno if that was true or if he figured since he was talking to a fisherman he had the right to embellish the truth... anyhow his little boat was called the s.s. minnow, so he had a great sense of humor to be sure.

That guy(if im thinking the same) was pretty well breaking the law with the amount of silt he was adding to the river. The fine would be well over the $20. Saw him on my trip in August I believe

Met someone panning for gold on Dutch creek right at the Oldman this summer. Not sure if he was successful or not, but he had quite the operation going. Is it even legal to pan for gold in a place like that?

Cheers.

http://www.energy.alberta.ca/minerals/704.asp

Sluice for Gold and other Precious Minerals Maximum 14 days in one place.

At least 15 metres away from next operator.

Recreational gold panning in Alberta's rivers and streams using hand-held, non-mechanized equipment does not require a mineral agreement or licence.

Placer mining in Alberta's rivers and streams, using a sluice box or other mechanized equipment, requires a Placer Licence.

Placer mining of Crown-owned placer minerals in other locations, such as from sand and gravel pits, requires a Metallic and Industrial Mineral Lease.

Placer mining in rivers and streams using dredging techniques is prohibited in Alberta.

A deposit of deleterious material (sediment) is illegal under the Fisheries Act.

I pan sometimes when I fish... usually two seperate trips.

there is okay flour gold in alberta, mostly up north.

$20 worth of alberta gold would be hard to believe out of the Bow - very very very little gold there. I suspect he was stretch the truth by about $19.99.

The geology of the headwaters of many S Alta streams is not favourable - not much gold in limestone and dolomite, maybe some from the Crowsnest Volcanics. The Peace was known to have some placer gold - apparently helped feed settlers during the depression - because the headwaters are in crystalline rock deeper in BC. Waters in NE Alta that come off the shield country could have some.

There would be more money and less effort in beer cans but where's the glory?http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/style_images/23blackcry/folder_post_icons/icon6.gif

There would be more money and less effort in beer cans but where's the glory?

Steward of the environment...of course it does not hold the romance of Treasure of the Sierra Madre

but just think if you go to Saskatchewan you could hit the mother load in Plisner! :)

A certain creek just across the BC border has all kinds of evidence of past Gold panning/mining (I don't know the correct terms). There has got to be at least a hundred meters of old wooden slides camouflaged by moss etc. that crisscross the forested hills adjacent to the creek. I'm not sure how old they are but I would guess a hundred years anyways.

Sounds like a interesting thing to get into (panning).