Fly Fusion Forums

Want To Test Out A Line...

ÜberFly

Gang,

I have a (Custom) Dan Craft - Five Rivers FLT 8' 3 wt (med/fast) that I currently throw a 4 wt line on (I've also tossed a 3 wt line on it and don't like it AT ALL!). So even though the 4 wt line seems "ok", I think a 3 wt GPX would be the cat's ass!! How do I go about approaching a shop in order to try casting this line?! It's most likely NOT a line that they would have pre-spooled... Is a shop just going to spool a line for me to try upon request?!

Thanks,

Peter

I would think if you go into the shop with the intention of purchasing the line if it works then they would let you. Most shops don't have a demo of every line in every weight.... either that or take your stick to the show and come and see me and try a real line ... sorry I meant a Rio line <--poke--<

Yeah that's what I figured... By the by... I do have Rio Grand on my 6 wt and feel the GPX works better for my casting style & pref (also, I have Rio Gold spooled on both mine and Deb's 4 wt reels and on my 3 wt, as well, so no need for a sales pitch Jay!! LoL! ;)

P

I would think if you go into the shop with the intention of purchasing the line if it works then they would let you. Most shops don't have a demo of every line in every weight.... either that or take your stick to the show and come and see me and try a real line ... sorry I meant a Rio line <--poke--<

Yeah that's what I figured... By the by... I do have Rio Grand on my 6 wt and feel the GPX works better for my casting style & pref (also, I have Rio Gold spooled on both mine and Deb's 4 wt reels and on my 3 wt, as well, so no need for a sales pitch Jay!! LoL! ;)

P

I'm not surprised the Grands feel sluggish to me, they are more of a beginners line in my opinion. Try comparing the Gold to the GPX for a more accurate comparison. Peter which GPX are you using? Mastery, Mastery Textured or Sharkskin?

;mornCoffee:

Sorry, but unless they happen to have this line spooled you are asking too much, way to much IMO..

Here is a better idea;

Open up your wallet, once the moths and the dust clear the area peel out some of those old one and two dollar bills and buy the damn line. If you don't like it sell used (like new) it at a slight discount

Pretty simple, eh?

How do I go about approaching a shop in order to try casting this line?! It's most likely NOT a line that they would have pre-spooled...

The GPX is a line that SA has "shop" versions of without the colour change. It's usually all yellow and a lot of shops have one of most the weights because they get them pretty cheap from SA to use as demo lines. I think the shops likely have 3wt lines spooled for when people want to buy a 3wt rod. Why don't you just swing by a couple shops that carry SA and ask? The worst they can do is say that they don't have one.

Thanks Marc,

Yeah I'm going to do that, but thought I would send out a query first just incase someone from one of the shops has it already spooled up to save me some time (and gas - sucks when all the shops are in south Calgary)!!

Cheers,

P

The GPX is a line that SA has "shop" versions of without the colour change. It's usually all yellow and a lot of shops have one of most the weights because they get them pretty cheap from SA to use as demo lines. I think the shops likely have 3wt lines spooled for when people want to buy a 3wt rod. Why don't you just swing by a couple shops that carry SA and ask? The worst they can do is say that they don't have one.

Jay just the plain old Mastery.

P

P.S. I love the head on the Grand for roll casting (I think I've mentioned that before)!

I'm not surprised the Grands feel sluggish to me, they are more of a beginners line in my opinion. Try comparing the Gold to the GPX for a more accurate comparison. Peter which GPX are you using? Mastery, Mastery Textured or Sharkskin?

Craig, does airflo make a "wt and a half" line similar SA & Rio?

P

No, I don't think so. I have a Sixth Sense Floating and a Ridge Line Tactical Trout. The Sixth Sense is amazing for casting dries in warmer conditions. Really supple. I like it very much. The Ridge Line has very little friction and is a little stiffer, better in colder conditions. Mine are both 4 wt lines. You're welcome to demo both....

Hmm, wasn't this rod originally supposed to be fished as a 4wt as per your requirements? Dan felt this blank would be the best fit as a 4wt in the action, length and pack-ability you were looking for.

Not saying it won't cast a 3wt line, I was able to test cast a 3wt Rio Trout line on it no problem, just took a little 'adjustment' of my casting stroke and timing, but with a 3wt line this rod excels at distances under 30ft making it a great small stream rod. For a 4wt I test cast a Greys Platinum WF4 with a 40' head and the rod loaded and performed effortlessly.

Colin

Colin,

Yeah I know, but I want to "try" a 3 1/2...

Just thinking out loud!!

P

Hmm, wasn't this rod originally supposed to be fished as a 4wt as per your requirements? Dan felt this blank would be the best fit as a 4wt in the action, length and pack-ability you were looking for.

Not saying it won't cast a 3wt line, I was able to test cast a 3wt Rio Trout line on it no problem, just took a little 'adjustment' of my casting stroke and timing, but with a 3wt line this rod excels at distances under 30ft making it a great small stream rod. For a 4wt I test cast a Greys Platinum WF4 with a 40' head and the rod loaded and performed effortlessly.

Colin

Colin,

Yeah I know, but I want to "try" a 3 1/2...

Just thinking out loud!!

P

I'd put more stock into the actual taper of the line than what the box says. If you are set on a 3wt line I would suggest looking at a DT line instead of a WF it will definitely improve the accuracy of the rod although not the distance as this rod does require a 4wt to load it properly, hence the reason Dan suggested it as a 4wt.

I'm sure most shops would offer a refund on a line that was returned with original packaging and in re-sale condition, so you may have to pay to settle your curiosity.

Colin