Fly Fusion Forums

Ruby Eyed Leech

DaveM

post-3928-1294318538.jpg

New to the forum, hope this is the right place to post??

Hook: Mustad R74-9672 # 12 - 8

Thread: Dk Brown 8/0

Cone: Black Tungsten

Eye: Ruby Glass Bead (Killer Caddis)

Weight: Lead Wire

Tail: Clump of dubbing Arizona Simi Seal, Bloody Leech

Body: Arizona Simi Seal, Bloody Leech

Pretty straight forward pattern to tie.

Dubbing the Simi seal is like dubbing barbed wire though, I dub this on about an inch at a time.

Once is the dubbing is done then just tease out the dubbing with a dubbing brush and stroke to the rear of the fly

That's a great fly, especially for deep and slow winter fishing on the Bow. I usually tie mine with a fine red copper wire dubbing brush, and no cone, just a red glass or metallic red bead. I'll also vary proportions of red and black simi-seal, and add a bit of pink or purple light bright to the brush...definitely one of my favourites

Love this pattern. I too tie it with the just the red bead, primarly for lakes though, additional bead would be helpful on the river for weight though.

Got a great tip off Phil R sight which I use on this pattern. Take an old tooth brush, remove the brissells and glue on in there place the rough side of a piece of velcro. Awesome tool for pulling out the dubbing while causing no damage to thread or wire

• 5 months later...

Junior's correct, Mr. Chan has some really good idea's and this was definitely a good idea. This dubbing would work great for this tie.

Have you tried it using Stillwater Solutions Sparkle Blend? Dubs way easier, and Brian Chan put a lot of work developing that dubbing blend specifically for that fly.