Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing With A Purpose..

Tuesday Paul (Harps) and I went fishing, he just wanted to go fishing . I had a purpose to go fishing of course, I had been asked to field test a fly line, I am not a technical type of person, in my profession which was Combat Communications for the CF, I was very technical it was what was expected of me. But in the life after the Army I am not, so this line I am testing was not going to get hooked up to a spectrum Analyzer or Cast Analyzer or even a Spectrum Competent Caster Person Analyzer.

This was just to be a “what do you think of it” test.. The answer is loved it, it casts big heavy three nymph rigs very well never had a one not turn over, and I did damn well in the vagrant 60KPH winds as well.

The line is the Scientific Anglers SA Mastery Textured Series Nymph/Indicator Textured Nymph line WF-6-F, DO NOT THINK SHARKSKIN ! Nope no where’s near that, very fine texture, light noise if you can even call it a noise, I have and will do a lot more casting and fishing with it, to get a deeper understanding of what the line can do.

The line performed better then expected, I have a very haphazard style of fly casting, I am sure that it added yards to what I can do with a 3 nymph set up.. Also the line has a nicely coloured tip section of Florescent orange and a willow olive main line, so was very easy to see with the light conditions and when the tip was drug under by the current the tip was very easy to see and follow, The streamlined loop was easy to use and did not feel like it would crack or give out..

So this is my first crack at fishing with a purpose other then just going Fly fishing... I never need a reason to go tho I have lots of reasons to go, this one was not a selfish one..

My picture taking skills were crappy that day, so I will not insult you with a bad picture..

Ohhhh, I have been waiting to get my hands on this line since I found out about it.

Without trying to open the Sharkskin can of worms because that horse is dead, but I like the Sharkskin lines.

Andrew

Hi Gaffer

I sent you a PM

Great line and you will find that it is like sharkskin but not like shark , there is a "texture" there but sort of like trout scales on a 4in Brook trout compared to a 20 inch Lake white fish...

So again sorry I will be fishing the line and fishing it hard, to test it of course , Well Somebody has to do it!!!

How is the finish? I have been fishing the Rio Indicator line for the last season and love it but the finish is dull at the indicator part and it picks up dirt a bit. Clearly being a Rio line it's far superior to the SA :lol: I would love to cast these lines side by side on the same rod as I think the taper is near identical. Let us know how it stands up winter is the best time to wreck lines