Fly Fusion Forums

Two Leader Questions

Guest ArtVandelay

Hi guys

I know I know...I need a book. I just ordered a couple from Amazon (they're scarce here in Calgary!) but in the meantime I'm wondering if someone would be kind enough to tell me why I'd use a 12 ft leader rather than, say, a 9ft leader and how far up the leader should you go before you should change it? How much is consumed in a typical tippet change? This is probably obvious to most of you, but these kinda things keep me awake at night since I'm become totally addicted to this :o

PS Two nun-skunked evenings in a row on the Bow. A 3 fish and a 5 fish evening!

man up and start building your own leaders... :P j/k..

3 feet Maxima 12 lb, 2 feet Maxima 10lb, 2 feet Maxima 8 Lb, 2-3 feet Maxima 6 lb..and add on your choice of tippet if fishing dries...you'll wonder why you ever bothered with store bought leaders...

gotta love non skunked nights..although they should be few and far inbetween this time of year..good on ya...

Various reasons for a longer leader. You may want your wet fly to sink much deeper when using a floating line. More line = more depth....etc. You can even get longer there. Spooky fish sometimes calls for a longer leader (water conditions depending, etc.).

Tippet and leader are different however, I'm assuming here you mean the whole thing.

Typically, I buy a 7 or 9' leader one X shy of what I'll fish and just add however long of tippet section I'm in need of. Makes you purchase of knotless leaders much less expensive over time. Tippet is cheaper than leader.

You can, over time, begin to experiment with the taper of your leader if you make your own and affect how it will turn over and present (in combination with your casting style).

I use almost the same set up as Brownstone. I start with the 4ft piece of heavy material from the butt section of a store bought leader, a couple of feet of 0X to 1X, a couple of feet of 3X and then a couple of feet of 4X. I almost always use 4X unless the water's real low and clear and the fish are fussy. Then you may have to lengthen your leader to 12 ft and use 5X or 6X. Don't be afraid of these thinner tippet diameters. If you play the fish properly, they can withstand alot of pressure. A couple of years ago I landed an 18" cuttbow on the Oldman on a #20 fly with 6X tippet and just recently I successfully hauled a brown out of a willow tangle on the North Raven on a 5X.

I fish with tapered leaders most of the time and agree with Grizz. I usually start with a 9' 3X leader and tie 1' of 3X tippet to it to start. You can change flies lots without eating up the leader. If I have to fish dries it's easy to add 3' of 4X and go from there.

Longer leaders make drag-free presentation easier too.

The leader needs to be changed once the tippet and leader diameter are too different in size. Sometimes the leader will also get chewed and kinked from fishing indicators or whatnot.

Honestly - the length of the leader and the size of the tippet are totally irrelevant 80-90% of the time, and some of the most successful fishers I know fish straight 8 pound Trilene from fly line to fly.