Fly Fusion Forums

Deer Hair Collar Length

lethfisher

I tied up some bow buggers with various collar lengths, and was wondering how long is it supposed to be?

This one looks a little long, but I like my trimming on it!

collar3.JPG

This one looks pretty good all around for proportions

collar2.JPG

I enhanced this one in iPhoto, that's why it looks so bright. Like the colours but the collar looks a little silly haha

collar1.JPG

What do you guys think?

Usually I stick with a brown chenille or a dark ice dub, except for that white one which has white ice dub. Aren't Bow Buggers representing sculpins or leeches maybe? What other colours are you thinking of?

Do you think trimming the deer hair into a sloped front would force the fly down further when it is swinging, like an upside airplane wing? Would be interesting to see the difference the shape of the deer hair would do to the fly's movement.

Do you think trimming the deer hair into a sloped front would force the fly down further when it is swinging, like an upside airplane wing? Would be interesting to see the difference the shape of the deer hair would do to the fly's movement.

see everything kelly galloup ties with deer hair...

I generally find olives/yellow/brown/black/white to be the most effective color schemes on the bow for sculpin patterns. Sculpins are colored the same as the substrates they live on, look at the bottom on the runs you like and tie accordingly.

Edit: interestingly (to me anyhow), mature male sculpins have distinctive bands of orange on their dorsal fin as well - almost a pumpkin orange...never tried tying any into a pattern, and although distinctive when looking at a sculpin in hand, I'm not sure how well it shows in the water. Might be worth an experiment.

I was wondering if you have used the red chenille/purple hackle, like the last pic.

Ya the bow buggers I used all this year had some purple in them and they seem to work good. Was definitely my most productive streamer, I am pretty confident with that pattern though so I don't swing much else. If I caught more fish then I would probably be able to answer your question better lol

Andy, your Burla Bugger or whatever you call them work good on the Bow to. I had to toss my last one because I was fishing in the cold and when I took a break and put my rod down the fly froze to a rock and the tail ripped off when I pulled on it lol Tie me more and send them to me as a christmas present, thanks! You're such a nice guy :)