Fly Fusion Forums

Proposed River-run Hydro On Van Is. Impacts Summer Steelhead

"Steelhead can't write letters but you can."

Sometimes rivers need all the anglers they can take.

I got this in an email from the West Coast today.Please take some time to look at it and express your displeasure to the Gov't.

The Kokish is a little-known river on Northern Vancouver Island. I have done a little bit of exploring on it several years ago when stationed in Port Hardy and can attest to its beauty. It is one of the few rivers left on the east coast of Vancouver Island that still supports a run of summer steelhead.

The BC Government is on the verge of approving yet another privately-capitalized "Run of River" power project on this river; the proposed 10km diversion pipe covers a large area of steelhead overwintering

and parr habitat (as identified by the government's own Georgia Basin Steelhead Recovery Program biologists).

Last day for public comments is today. If you want more information, there

is some available on the Steelhead Society of BC website:

http://www.steelheadsociety.org/node/45

More info

http://wildernesscommittee.org/victoria/tr..._threatened_ipp

http://www.brookfieldpower.com/content/201...ect_s-2780.html

Comment submitted, but oddly enough, my comments didn't show up on their comment section. Actually, there are no fish arguements posted, nearly every one is for Kyaking values...interesting. Even though I have yet to fish the Kokish, I am appalled by the destruction of steelhead habitat that has happened on the Island over the past century. Over the past 20 years, what were once very productive steelhead runs have almost completely collapsed in many cases. Now, most are sustained by pellethead hatchery brats. I am not sure if the people of Vancouver Island are okay with the substitution, but I personally think it is disgusting, and frankly this rape of the island makes me sick. Each and every population of steelhead is unique, especially in these short, complex, isolated and challenging systems. This leads to diverging expression of traits, adaptations over millenia that result in distinct 'races' of steelhead. A labratory will never turn back time and hatchery fish are always inferior. I read a figure somewhere recently that estimated that 95% of Vancouver Island's summer run steelhead are extinct. The winter run fish must not be far behind, judging by population estimates found on the Greater Georgia Basin Steelhead Rcovery Plan site. Recovery my ass.

Thanks for your comments!!

Mine didn't show up, I hope we're not to late. I just found out about it this morning, and even though I've never fished steelhead on Van Is, I would love for there to be some populations left for me to try (selfish reason).