Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting Around Calgary

Archery,rifle or both?How far do you want to travel?

If you mean the area surrounding Calgary it's strictly an archery zone,WMU 212.The other WMU's are open to rifle and offer lots of deer,white tail and mule deer,draw only for mule deer.There are quite alot of elk in the area west of the city but it's all private land and hard to get permission but not impossible.

i m thinking birds. i just got my license and still have to take the CGS exam which i am scheduled for early october. looks like this season will pass before i can hunt. i am just trying to find out if i can hook with some people and know the lay of the land a little bit..

Pheasant doesn't open up until mid oct thru to mid nov.Partridge opens here pretty quick till the end of nov and migratory opens next week right thru to the middle of dec,so I'd say you'll have plenty of time to hunt.

Like fishing,I don't know too many guys who'll give up their favorite hunting grounds willingly.I have some pheasant hunting spots for wild birds that I worked hard to find and can't take alot of pressure so I won't pass that info along but if you go anywhere east you'll find lots of huns and

some sharptails,saw alot of huns this morning while out scouting for deer N.E. of Airdrie.I find most land owners are willing to let you on to bird hunt.

Do you have a dog?Walking up pheasant without one is tough hunting.

I'd be willing to help you out where I can and if you'd like we can get together for a meet and greet over a coffee or your favorite adult beverage.PM me and maybe we can arrange something.

Next saturday is the migratory opener and I'll be out for the morning shoot,not sure what the rest of the day will bring so I can't commit to anything then.

Not to hijack the post, but if anyone can get me a piece of fall mule deer hide I will be much obliged.

It is the the deerhair where the CDC&Elk is tied with.

Long kept secret from Hans himself.

Dutch I can probably help you out there pretty quick.The mule deer are changing now and should have their fall coats in by mid sept.Right now they're kinda patchy looking but I've already seen some that have lost their summer red and are greying up nicely.

What part of the hide are you looking for?

I was told to go for the hair on top of the spine. Because these are the straightest ones.

You don't want patches with curved hair you see so often in the flyshops.

I will gladly pay for the shipment and also sent some Elk&CDC flies back.

Rob

rob, i have my tag for mule deer for this season. i also have a friend who is a taxidermist and a few other friends with tags.

we aren't going until mid-october. but i will let you know if i fill my tag and i can get the hide tanned/dried sufficiently.

i will also check my 'stash' of deer hair - chances are, somewhere in my giant box o'crap and miscellanious hair/supplies, i have mule deer hair. not sure from what body part. i will try to find straight stuff.

how much exactly would you like??? and is there anything else you need?

I am not in desperite need of it now, still have a patch.

But I am sure once I am over some of the flyflingers would like some nice caddis, which will be one of the ways I will repay them for taken me out.

The other one will be beer.

About 30 cm will be sufficient to last a couple of years, I don't loose many flies.

It is the only thing I can not get overhere, so no worries.

Thanks in advance for the offer,

Rob