Fly Fusion Forums

Best 5 Flies

Remps

The traditional wet, dry or streamer Coachman and what came first?

I don't tie my own Royals so I go with what I can get. I do own two "traditional" drys that were hand tied in England (I think the Royal is a Eastern US born pattern?)and giving to me as a gift about 12 years ago or so but they won't see the water until the gift giver comes out to fish.

I like the Royal Wolf, Trude, Coachman and the Royal Humpy. I find even if they are not bang on traditional they are a good stray away from Stims and all the newer attractor patterns.

The traditional wet came first, although every time I think of the the Royal Coachman, the Royal Wulff always comes to mind.

It's a beautiful fly, and if there was ever a fly that is fly fishing, it's the Royal Coachman; even non-anglers recognize it.

I'm going to tie one this weekend, in fact, it could make for a fun thread....Royal Coachman Pics, and Variations Therein. And they're not an easy tie at all.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if you bring 5 flies to a mtn stream, three should be the the same favorite dry fly for the cutties, and two should be the same favorite streamer fly for the bulls. the reasoning is that you are bound to loose one or two snagging a tree or bush, and you will definitely be pissed that you marched 10 clicks up a stream and don't have an extra favorite fly.

I will post my five favorites in no particular order;

Red Coyote

Parachute Adams

EHC

Lime Trude

Dark Stimulator

These just don't work on the cutty streams, I have caught some dandy browns, bows and brookies on these. I'm not bragging, just saying.

I will post my five favorites in no particular order;

Red Coyote

Parachute Adams

EHC

Lime Trude

Dark Stimulator

These just don't work on the cutty streams, I have caught some dandy browns, bows and brookies on these. I'm not bragging, just saying.

ok 3 parachutte adams and 2 dark stims it is...........................