Fly Fusion Forums

Working On My Left Handed Casting

Best thing is initially getting some physical therapy done. After that, get a good elbow brace. I had the exact same issue when I first started fly fishing. Saw my physiotherapist to ease the pain initially, then got a real good brace. Now I wear my brace every time I fish and I haven't had the pain since.

This is the brace I have. You can order it through Co-Op Home Healthcare on Macleod Trail South. About $20 or so with shipping.

http://www.serola.net/en/Elbow-Brace/gel-a...lbow-brace.html

I had elbow problems (dis-located due to a ski accident) for years, took up fishing with a Spey rod and have been relatively pain free for many years now. I do fish a single hander, I just try to use the spey rod in between as much as possible. I still find after the 3rd or 4th day in a row with a single hand rod that I have some pain and swelling. I've tried quite a few different braces as well as physio but find that when I start to ache the best thing is to do is start swinging the spey rod.

Colin

I see colin already mentioned a spey. Further to that, maybe find a light spey like a 5wt 11 foot or so switch rod. You could spey cast to nymph runs with your bad hand... but honestly if your having trouble picking up coffee right now you may have line control issues even with your good hand. One good thing, these colder days tend to numb the pain :)

another thing I would add to this Jeff, is don't try and plan a big trip... just hit a favorite spot of the Bow or whatever river your closest to (I assume your in Calgary but I could be wrong). When I hurt my back I was in about the same situation as you... I would really want to go fishing but I'd be lucky if I lasted 10 minutes. But I was thankful for those 10 minutes when I did go, especially if I was rewarded with a nice trout.

I also found that taking 2 Motrin just before fishing helped me a lot (and still does)

cheers

What FNG said. Get the brace and use every time you fish.

Over the years I've found that as casting skill improves less and less stress is exerted on tendons and ligaments. One learns to load a rod more efficiently so it does more and more of the work. Unnecessary false casting is reduced.

A light stick helps to, especially if using a 10 footer.

I fell this summer & tore my rotator cuff & quad where it meets my knee.

Anyway, I started taking this and it has been really good. Usually I don't put much stock in this sort of stuff, but I am immpressed.

211992c_EN.jpg

Andrew

My wife bought me this stuff, maybe I should actually give it a try. Ive got two bad shoulders, two bad knees and this year playing golf my bloody elbow started to hurt.........for no reason, it has bugged me since August!!!!!

My wife bought me this stuff, maybe I should actually give it a try. Ive got two bad shoulders, two bad knees and this year playing golf my bloody elbow started to hurt.........for no reason, it has bugged me since August!!!!!

I bought it on a whim at Costco to see if it would help my sore joints and I was plesently suprised. I notice if I go out of town for the weekend and forget to take the. in notice after a couple of days.

Andrew