Fly Fusion Forums

Hunting

I have been fishing for most of my life and in recent years have started to gain interest in hunting! I realize the season is in full swing so i am looking ahead to next year. I will be getiing my P.A.L. and taking the hunter safety course this winter. I was thinking that birds would be a good starting point but i am also interested in larger game like deer or elk. I was wondering after i am licensed what sort equipment will i need. Obviously i will need a gun but what type should i be looking at ect. Also what are some things i cant really go without. Any help would be greatly appreciated or if someone could point me in the direction of some quality information i would appreciate it.

Thanks

Jon

I believe Elk opened today,deer is Nov1.Most areas around here for deer is Thurs Fri sat only.You can check the hunter regs on line.

If you want to start you'll need a couple of buddy's,start putting in for draws for big game usually mid June.

Upland game has been dismal since we've had a couple of hard winters,however there are a few release sites in AB for pheasant.

Migratory birds have always been good and easy to get some.Most landowners will let you on to set up decoys and a blind.

As far as guns go a 30-06 is pretty popular for deer,12Ga shot gun that shoots steel shot is also the norm.

I wish i had more time to go hunting, i always enjoyed being out there even in minus 20.I really miss pheasant hunting but with no dog and not that many birds I'll have to wait another year.

Good luck in your new hobby.

Edit:

Some pics form the past.

phesenthunting012medium.jpg

back about 6 years ago seemed like every road you drove you would find some wild birds.

img0374l.jpg

This one was a little to small.

huntinglarge.jpg

Jon, I decided to get into bird hunting almost 10 years ago now. While I am intrigued by big game hunting and enjoy the taste of wild meat , it required much more commitment than I had time to supply ( young family at the time). Bird hunting can be enjoyable regardless of your investment level. There are generally three differing types of bird hunting that I will describe below keeping in mind you can invest hundreds in any type of gear if you desire. As well for me, bird hunting is not about sustinence or filling the freezer, for me it is about interacting with this wonderful province's fall foilage and watching my Labrador Retriever work the land while running with the biggest smile. For further info you should read the Provincial hunting regs which can be found online. Enjoy...

Migratory ( Ducks and Geese )....shotgun, access ( fields, sloughs etc), camo gear, blinds, decoys, calls, equipment to retrieve in water i.e. dog, boat, waders....I don't hunt much migratory anymore mostly because I never got properly setup and much prefer the taste of upland but it can be some fun action when it is done correctly...3-4 months season depending on location

Upland...various grouse species, hungarian partridge.....shotgun for wing shooting, 22 for ground shooting, good pair of hunting boots, warm clothes. This is the one type of bird hunting that it is not neccessary to use a dog but it helps. Good public access on the eastern Slopes for grouse, partridge in the praries, good eating....3-4 month season depending on location

Pheasant....currently my favourite, shotgun, usually private access is required to find wild birds but their numbers are way down this year. There are designated and non-designated release sites throughout the province where the government has sub-contracted the raising and releasing of pheasants, only legal to hunt the males, while you can hunt them without a dog, you will see and therefore have the opportunity to shoot many more birds with the use of a dog's keen sense of smell. Again good boots, warm clothes, blaze orange. 4-6 week season depending on location.

Jon, I am sure there are way more experienced hunters on here who may or may not agree with my input but we had to get this thread continued. For me bird hunting is somewhat like flyfishing, can be done to some extent in a short period of time if required, somewhat minimal infrastructure and always good exercise. And like flyfishing it is a recreational pursuit for me where positive success is a bonus. My problem in the fall is deciding whether to hunt or fish on my next day off...sk

Thanks for the help guys!!!!! I am really excited to get started (just wish i could do it right now). Its sounding more likely i will stick to birds for awhile at least. I am a chef so the eating part is as as important to me as the the time spent outdoors, which is why i am interested in larger game as well. Anyway for now im going fishing. Im sure i will have many more questions to come and i will surely post here.

Thanks alot for your help

Jon