Fly Fusion Forums

Morning Brown

Flyfishen

Ever had one of those mornings where you can't sleep? Well I did today and decided to take advantage of it. On the river at 4:00AM, temp. plus three. 4:15AM fish on...a 22 inch Brown (actually it taped at 21.5 inches, but I'm calling it 22)made a few more casts and then moved onto another spot but nothin happening. Back home by 5:30AM.

Oct20107.jpg

Rather skinny looking fish but a good one none the less. Wondering if that fish already finished spawning or not. Good way to spend those sleepless nights anyway eh, and still above zero over night up there huh.

Okay so, here is what you will need to remember next time that you are out fishing...

we won't fish in the fall because the Browns are spawning, we won't fish in the winter cause the Browns are all spawned out, they are weak and the rainbows are saving energy to spawn. we won't fish in the spring because the rainbows are spawning and we won't fish in the summer cause the water is too low and warm and its hard on the fish. (this is truely when mortality is at it's peak and surprise!!! so is the angling pressure)And just for the record I was fishing in a well known Rainbow pool that just so happened to have this Brown holding in it.This Brown was in great shape from the spawn (no marks or scraps on it what so ever and it left my hands after being properly revived very strong)

jayjj11, I fish and trust the regulations that are set out by Bioligists and the province. But hey, if you don't want to fish at any of these times of the year then stay off the rivers in Alberta.

completely a spawning/spawned out brown...they don't need the exercise or the photos at this time of the year.

Yes, it was definatly spawned out but in surprisingly good shape. It must have spawned and then moved to this pool that I was at but I normally get Rainbows there, not browns so I was surprised to see it.

We are being blessed with some pretty good weather for October. Normally the mornings are much colder but hey...I'll take it. Today it's supposed to get up to 20 degrees.

Rather skinny looking fish but a good one none the less. Wondering if that fish already finished spawning or not. Good way to spend those sleepless nights anyway eh, and still above zero over night up there huh.

had a chuckle over ur post...ppl like you are known to me as "bleeding hearts"...if you feel so much for the fish..then don't even lift a rod to catch any...go to the waters and pretend to fish with a bit of yarn attached to ur leader, make out you know what you are doing..

..as Flyfishen said in his return post..we won't fish the ultimate quest of every 'bleeding heart'!

had a chuckle over ur post...ppl like you are known to me as "bleeding hearts"...if you feel so much for the fish..then don't even lift a rod to catch any...go to the waters and pretend to fish with a bit of yarn attached to ur leader, make out you know what you are doing..

..as Flyfishen said in his return post..we won't fish the ultimate quest of every 'bleeding heart'!

That was not my intent and im sorry you perceive me that way. I have no trouble or guilt as you seem to be implying in angling for fish during their spawn. I was simply asking Flyfishen if he/she thought or knew if the fish he/she caught had already spawned. I have come across browns in December still in spawning shape, it just seemed a bit early to be finished already, so id thought id ask. Next time ill add some of these ??? to help people understand it was a question not a statement.

Thanks for your post.

That was not my intent and im sorry you perceive me that way. I have no trouble or guilt as you seem to be implying in angling for fish during their spawn. I was simply asking Flyfishen if he/she thought or knew if the fish he/she caught had already spawned. I have come across browns in December still in spawning shape, it just seemed a bit early to be finished already, so id thought id ask. Next time ill add some of these ??? to help people understand it was a question not a statement.

Thanks for your post.

HEY! WHO ARE YOU CALLING A HE/SHE!!!...Just kidding,I took the intent of your first reply as an honest comment and question. I did not take any offence to your comments. Not to worry

What a big suprise that Jayjj11 has to come into a thread and try and start something. Woulda never saw that coming.... *sigh*

Nice fish.

So, are you the only one who can express their opinion on here? He has a very valid point and is educating others.

Doubt it's a spawned fish still to early IMHO Lots of test reds out there but i don't think they're dropping eggs yet. Nov. to Dec. is prime time.

Went for a walk yesterday and saw 3 pairs spawning, not making test redds.

I was not trying to start anything, but if you're fishing in the city with streamers at this time of the year you are going to run into spawning and spawned out fish. If you do, it's probably a better option to quickly release and not spend any extra time to get a photo, especially since they're really not photo quality fish when they're so skinny.

If you have to fish the city, stay out of any areas with smaller gravel and do not fish tailouts.

Better option, go fish at Police or downstream, the rainbows are getting their feedbag on for winter.

So, are you the only one who can express their opinion on here? He has a very valid point and is educating others.

And every time he shares that opinion he does it in an extremely degrading way to the person who he is belittling. There is a difference between educating, and trying to make someone look and feel stupid.

Sure he has a valid point, it's a point I agree with, leave the freekin' browns alone in the city at this time of year. There ACTUALLY spawning there.

Cheers.

Not a surprise that hogstopper has to comment on a comment. double "sigh"

Lots of varying opinions here, but we could do without the ego's.

Not suprising that you can't leave it alone, either.

Hi pot, meet kettle.

Kettle,... meet Pot.

Glad you got a nice introduction to yourself.

Guest Sundancefisher
Doubt it's a spawned fish still to early IMHO Lots of test reds out there but i don't think they're dropping eggs yet. Nov. to Dec. is prime time.

I do not know about that. I have seen many browns spawning this time of year. There is a wide enough range. I would expect most to be finished by mid November.

As for the fish... Nice brown. You released it...great. I suspect you fought it quickly and revived it properly and did not keep it out of the water more than 30 seconds etc. Catching a fish is your right under the regs and no one should be upset for you being happy to have caught and released a beauty.

It is always a great way to pass the time...catching a fish of any kind.

Cheers

Sun

I do not know about that. I have seen many browns spawning this time of year. There is a wide enough range. I would expect most to be finished by mid November.

As for the fish... Nice brown. You released it...great. I suspect you fought it quickly and revived it properly and did not keep it out of the water more than 30 seconds etc. Catching a fish is your right under the regs and no one should be upset for you being happy to have caught and released a beauty.

It is always a great way to pass the time...catching a fish of any kind.

Cheers

Sun

Well said Sun. You must have been there as it happened exactly as you wrote. I hope every fish caught is shown the same respect in the Bow River and elsewhere in Alberta, and everyone follows the Regulations so that we can continue to enjoy this World Class Fishery that I have enjoyed for the last thirty years.

There does not seem to be any signs of this fishery being in any trouble, as a matter of fact, I have never experience as many Browns in the Bow river trbs as much as I saw this Summer. It seems that they are expanding their territory.