Fly Fusion Forums

Hail Damage Estimate Inquiry

Gang,

This is the 1st time I've dealt with an insurance company for a claim like this...

I finally received the estimate from my insurance company regarding the claim for hail damage on our roof...

A couple of things...

The insurance company/adjuster had "their" contractor (estimator) provide the estimate and when I inquired as to getting other estimates done, the response (from the adjuster) was, sure you can get other estimates, (or have the work done by somebody else) as long as they are lower then the estimate that our guy gave!! Huh!!

1st of all, isn't the contractor that they had provide the estimate, a bit of a conflict of interest?!

What happens if I get a couple of other estimates (within the same specs) and they come in higher?!

Can anyone provide some opinon/advice on what my options are...

Thanks, in advance,

Peter

well usually the companies the insurance people use are well established and professional and there bids are in that area that they should be .... and they know there job ...now something as simple as re shingling a roof they know what the prices should be, they deal with thousands a year .....unless you have someone reputable in your life that needs the work just let the guys the insurance company trusts do they work that way if there is any problems you can always go back to the insurance company to say that they did bad work (which they probably wont)

why would you worry about the price when the insurance company is footing the bill you should just be concerned that they do a good job

As I mentioned, I've never dealt with a claim before (nor an insurance company)... I have also heard that insurance companies try to screw people so just wanted to get some info...

Thanks for your input!

P

well usually the companies the insurance people use are well established and professional and there bids are in that area that they should be .... and they know there job ...now something as simple as re shingling a roof they know what the prices should be, they deal with thousands a year .....unless you have someone reputable in your life that needs the work just let the guys the insurance company trusts do they work that way if there is any problems you can always go back to the insurance company to say that they did bad work (which they probably wont)

why would you worry about the price when the insurance company is footing the bill you should just be concerned that they do a good job

A number of years ago we had our roof replaced due to hail damage. We never dealt with anyone but the insurance company. The adjuster came over, looked at the roof and said "yup, hail damage". We got a call telling us when the roofers would be there to replace the roof.

Are you saying they expect you to book and pay for the roof job and they will reimburse you? As EW said, they should be paying the contractor to do the job. You shouldn't really be involved...

For what it's worth I'm a cynic and a contractor and I would have to think the insurance companies have nothing to gain by hiring crummy or shady contractors. On the other hand I would imagine they deal with a roofing company, as opposed to a private contractor, who subcontract the jobs out. They can't really guarantee the guys doing the job but they need to guarantee the work they do. Chances are the crew only does work for one company so they will likely have proven to be at least somewhat accountable. Get a business card off them and be positive, you're getting new shingles :P

Hope it all works out.

I have also heard that insurance companies try to screw people so just wanted to get some info...

Oh, they do. Just wait until your policy is up for renewal and they increase your premiums because you made a claim. I'm guessing that everyone's premiums (both home and auto) will probably go up next year because of the amount of damage done by that hail storm.

I'm going through the process right now. The adjuster came over, said I need new roof, eavestroughs, downspouts, siding on the west side and 1 window re-glazed. They are in the process of putting the new roof on. I was away when the storm hit and didn't think much of it until I saw the siding on the neighbours house. Took a look at mine and saw 1 hole. I called insurance, told them about the hole in the siding but wanted them to look at the remainder of the house for damage.

They sent over an appraiser, he was the one that called me and told me about all the damage and that the insurance company would contact me. Insurance called me and said that I could get my own quotes which would have to be approved by them or go with thier 'exterior' contractor which they have been using for 20 years and they would take care of all the damage. To me, it was the easiest solution and assumed that if they have been partners for 20 years the quality of work should be adequate.

The thing I don't like about the process is they're not able to give me a schedule. The bundles of shingles sat on the roof for 3 weeks before the roofers showed up. I have no idea as to when the remainder of the items will be repaired but I can't really complain as it is being taken care of (so far) and they could'nt have picked a better time to do the roof.

Feel free to pm me and I can give you details about the name of insurance company and exterior contractor.

Thanks for all the responses... I've been getting pretty consistant info (which is good). The only thing that wasn't included in the estimate was "water & ice shield" and a "drip edge", which probably weren't on our roof originally, but I'd like them to be added tot he job (out of pocket, of course)...

Thanks again,

P

Yup you're right Marc! I just received our renewal statement and ours went up from ~$54 to ~$73 (~ 25%) and we haven't even decided on what to do with this particular claim.... Might be time to look else where to see if we can save a few $...

P

Oh, they do. Just wait until your policy is up for renewal and they increase your premiums because you made a claim. I'm guessing that everyone's premiums (both home and auto) will probably go up next year because of the amount of damage done by that hail storm.