Fly Fusion Forums

Camera Suggestions

I've just gotten back from BC and had a total brain faet that resulted in my camera disappearing into the rocks of a breakwater out at Tofino, finishing with a faint splash. only about 140 photos went with it. At any rate, for you camera gurus, what would you recommend for a replacement? I am not a full-on photo guy, so I want a pocket type that will take good photos within it's limitation, as well as video. Te video does not have to be high quality. Just the sort of thing that will record kids screaming as they fight a big fish, etc. I'm hoping to keep costs under $300-350. Any suggestions.

I LOVE my Canon D10.

I've just gotten back from BC and had a total brain faet that resulted in my camera disappearing into the rocks of a breakwater out at Tofino, finishing with a faint splash. only about 140 photos went with it. At any rate, for you camera gurus, what would you recommend for a replacement? I am not a full-on photo guy, so I want a pocket type that will take good photos within it's limitation, as well as video. Te video does not have to be high quality. Just the sort of thing that will record kids screaming as they fight a big fish, etc. I'm hoping to keep costs under $300-350. Any suggestions.

Are you looking for a conventional camera or a tough camera?

If you are looking at rugged camera I would look at the Panasonic Lumix DMCTS2A. I was looking at one in Vistek today to replace my Fuji XP10 which is okay, but is really lacking in the picture quality for indoor shots.

What I like about the Panny is the build quality, good optics, button layout is well thought out and it shoots 1080p video, even underwater.

Lumix DMCTS2A

Andrew

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

PENTAX W80! shock proof and 15ft underwater. it shoots 1080p vid and inexpensive batteries.

I have been using mine for 2 years now and it still works as good as day one. I have used it in the ocean a few times with no problems. It is rock solid. Has a great panoramic and large shot tool to stitch multiple photos

1 thing i dont like it the lens is mounted sideways so it chokes out A LOT of light so lowlight is tripod or flash

4.5/5

If you are looking at rugged camera I would look at the Panasonic Lumix DMCTS2A. I was looking at one in Vistek today to replace my Fuji XP10 which is okay, but is really lacking in the picture quality for indoor shots.

What I like about the Panny is the build quality, good optics, button layout is well thought out and it shoots 1080p video, even underwater.

Lumix DMCTS2A

Andrew

agreed,the tough cameras are great. not much to worry about except losing them.

Lumix DMCTS2A

Andrew

X3 on the Panasonic. I have the original TS-1 and it's been awesome. I used it to do night video during the hard water season down in 15 feet of water, no issues whatsoever.

I haven't had any issues with my Fuji FinePix Z33WP

It's recently been improved to be shock proof now too.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_c.../finepix_z33wp/

One feature that I like about the new Fuji cams is that you can mark pictures for upload to Facebook and they are uploaded when you connect to your computer. Also uploads video to YouTube.

I am not sure if any of the other cameras do that, but it is a great way to share your pictures easily.

Andrew