Fly Fusion Forums

Pontoon Question

Hey folks - I did a search but didn't find the info I was looking for so decided on a new post. Essentially I have questions on using an anchor with a pontoon boat on the Bow.

First - anyone have any issues using an anchor to hold position while in a pontoon? Is there anything in particular you need to watch out for?

Second - what type/size of anchor seems to work best for people?

For information it would be used on 9' River Tamer (Water Skeeter).

When i use to toon the river i always had an anchor,i only used in the frog water or at shore or water that was at or less then knee deep.10lbs river anchor was good.Just don't tie a knot in the end of the rope in case you get into trouble.Also tie a good knot to it don't use one of those carabeaner(sp) type things.

Adjust the frame on the pontoons to allow the stern to be a bit high, so that when anchored in any type of flow, the stern is not dipping into the water. Use a minimum of 30-40' of anchor rope, to allow you to "long line" the anchor. All rivers fluctuate in levels, so drop the anchor and play out at least 25' of anchor line so that the fluctuations don't lift your anchor. #10 pyramid works best.

j