Fly Fusion Forums

Not As Many Lakers On The Fly.......

cowtownscribe

Hi everyone.

I decided to post in this forum, as the primary focus of this latest trip was a Photography Workshop - not fly-fishing. Although I did get a chance to do a little – it was only for 3 hours – and I was under orders to get some fish for the group shore lunch. The biggest Lake Trout I caught was a 12 pound specimen, so it looks like I’ll have to go back up next year to try and break my standing 20 lb record ;)

Anyhoo, the first two days of the workshop were spent in and around Yellowknife. On day two we headed up the Ingraham Trail (Hwy 4) to hike up to Cameron River Falls. Along the way, we came upon a pair of Willow Ptarmigan, and I managed to get this shot before one over-zealous member of our group, spooked them into the bush.

FEW_20100906_4308.jpg

Although I took some obligatory shots of the falls, it is this side flow to the Cameron River that caught my attention. To me, it looks less staged, and is more intimate.

FEW_20100906_4334.jpg

Heading back up towards the main trail, I slipped on the mud and grabbed onto a tree for support. Looking down I saw these mushrooms, and decided it would be a good time to take out the macro lens.

FEW_20100906_4352.jpg

Day three found us flying up to the lodge at Point Lake. We weren’t very far north of Yellowknife, when I noticed a huge colour difference in the taiga. For comparison, I have included a shot from my August trip.

FEW_20100730_3370.jpgFEW_20100907_4460.jpg

While on final to land at Point Lake, we passed over a herd of caribou, just north of the lodge. The decision was made to stow our gear as quickly as possible, and see how close we could sneak up on them. As luck would have it, an esker was between us and the herd – so we were able to get pretty darn close to them before we started taking pictures. I am surprised that the focus beeps and shutter clicks coming from our cameras didn’t spook the caribou, as it was pretty noisy from where I was crouched. When it was all over, I had taken 450 shots – and felt like a kid in a candy shop. They knew we were there, but they didn’t run off until we stood up and walked back to the lodge along the top of the esker.

FEW_20100907_4512.jpgFEW_20100907_4598.jpgFEW_20100907_4609.jpgFEW_20100907_4638.jpg

To be continued.......