Fly Fusion Forums

B.c Valley Cutts-rejected!

We headed out Fairmont B.C. way last weekend. Even though we were required to buy a daily $20 license to fish the waters as well as the non-resident license, I found the area very pretty and inviting. From the clean, free campsites in the boonies to the free firewood down any logging road, I can justify spending the extra money to fish some of their cold pristine waters. People from the Valley seem to care about their backcountry as mostly locals frequent the area. Not once did I look down to find a candy bar wrapper or worst of all, a used tub that contained bait or strewn beer cans everywhere.

We were directed to a "secret" spot which required us to follow animal trails to a small tributary where the banks show no signs of others boots or garbage. As we rigged up, we saw no risers. As soon as we were set, the cutts were rising everywhere! Being an experienced fly fisher for over 35 years, I found the fish to be exceptionally selective. My partner and I would cast to the risers over and over again switching flies after 6 or so casts. We saw two different hatches and matched them as closely as possible with what we had brought streamside. Some nice size fish were splashing about but weren't about to be fooled by our immitations. We found it both frustrating and laughable as any other smaller creek in southern AB. would have given up fish to our offerings. Being where we were, the fish would not see the amount of fishing pressure that our southwest areas normally would. It was quite amazing that we weren't able to at least land one of these beautiful Cutts. My partner had one on for a few seconds but lost it. We worked the run for over 2 1/2 hours constantly changing flies and tactics to no avail. It was worth a chuckle when my partner would stop to change flies, the fish were rising within arms reach! "NO FISHIES FOR YOU, COME BACK ONE YEAR!!" is all I could hear in my head. The abundance of wildlife was amazing considering in the same camping area, hunters were present. Sounds of the Elk buggling in the early morning were what we woke to. The nice weather in the area for the weekend and GREAT FRIENDS to share the majesty of the area with were very special.

A weekend not to forget.

Looking forward to next year when I am able to escape to the area again.

But for now, back to reality and work. Sigh.....

FHD