Fly Fusion Forums

Fishing In The Rain (weather Question)

With the obvious crap weather we have been having I have some weather/fly fishing related questions.

How much does weather play in the possibility of catching fish (I know that this possibity also relies heavily on the experience of the fisherman). What I would like to know is it better for a guy to wait for sunny/mediocre days or does it matter that much.

How much does

precipitation

sun

barometric pressure

temperature

wind

etc....

matter when deciding whether one should go out.

I was wondering about this as I froze my butt off in the rain and cold yesterday with only a single bite to show for my efforts. ( I thought shorts under my waders would be enough, wrong helly hansen gear is coming out for base layering in the future)

Secondary to this question which is related is about river dynamics. The Elbow was relatively high (waist deep where I cross as compared to mid calf deep) as compared to a week ago (probably due to the moisture in the mountains)

If you notice a river you usually fish is murkier and deeper (blown out I have heard it called) is it best just to wait for another day.

Thanks for your input...

J

I think weather plays a factor in how good the fihsing is, but I don't think it's possible to know exactly why the fishing should be good or not. Some days it seems outstanding, then the next you wonderr where they have gone. All you can do is adapt to the conditions and change your approach if stuff ain't working.

Cloudy vs. sunny days depends on where you are fishing, time of day and year, water temp, and what species you are targeting etc.

Lately I have had success on rainy days when the bwo's are hatching or I'm fishing streamers... If the sun peaks out, the bwo hatch dies.

On sunny days I have had more luck nymphing, especially with princes and boatmen. In the summer, a warm calm day will usually lead to a great evening hatch, but a cold front usually means a smaller hatch (or none). I've read hot weather can condense a hatch, making it last a shorter period of time but thicker. Generally speaking, I think this is true.

Strong wind can be damaging to a hatch, probably because it helps their wings dry faster and leave the surface way quicker? Wind can be good by blowing terrestials into the water. Speaking of which, hopper fishing is usually best on hot, dry windy days (something we have been lacking).

I've also read that wind out of the west is preferable any other. I think this is probably related to barometric pressue changes, but I would tend to agree with this. Barometric pressure changes are not as good for the fishing, according to some people. Apparently the best time to fish is during a steady period with little pressure change.

I think the fishing can still be alright with higher water, just change up your technique a little. Falling water levels are better than rising ones I think, but may be wrong.

These are just generalizations, I'm sure there are people who know alot more.