Fly Fusion Forums

Mexico...an Increasingly Dangerous Place To Travel

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/rep...g.asp?id=184000

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Travel advisories to Mexico are springing up faster than hawkers at a tourist stop.

Just watch out when heading down to go fishing. Looks like there is no end in sight and it is only a matter of time before they get desperate and start hitting tourists to scare the government into backing down.

Sun

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/rep...g.asp?id=184000

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_4755.html

Travel advisories to Mexico are springing up faster than hawkers at a tourist stop.

Just watch out when heading down to go fishing. Looks like there is no end in sight and it is only a matter of time before they get desperate and start hitting tourists to scare the government into backing down.

Sun

sigh.......................this is all border town incidents(along with a hurricane warning) in the northern and western non tourist areas.

75% of the murders in mexico are gang/drug related and dont involve tourists ( as opposed to all the collateral damage done by gang members in american cities). Its ironic a country like the states posts these warnings. Its the american appetite for illegal drugs and the american willingness to sell any/all of their various automatic weoponry to the various cartells that breeds and supports this whole problem.

Again,its not like they are shooting up cancun or mazatlan.Its more dangerous to walk downtown in Calgary than along the streets of 99% of mexico tourist towns. It seems that the tourists that get hurt at resort areas( the ones that fall off of balconies) always turn out to be totally drunken yahoos that figure any mexcian woman in a night club or on the streets after dark must be a hooker.In my experience ,if you treat the country and the people with respect you wont have any problems

Sun

This is quite the assumption you are jumping to. Why the fear mongering? Same can be said about most cities anywhere in the world, depending on which side of the tracks you care to venture.

Guest Sundancefisher
At first I thought someone had resurrected one of these old threads...

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=4476

http://flyfishcalgary.com/board/index.php?showtopic=6906

Sundance, if you're that scared of Mexico...DON'T GO THERE.

I think it is great people respect the country...and figure they are perfectly safe...but really are none of you paying attention to the news? Mexicans don't want to be in Mexico right now. The drug cartels are killing people in every area of Mexico. Politicians, Police, Journalists are all being killed and in large numbers. Immigrants are being killed on mass. The police are powerless to protect even themselves. Law and order is in chaos...

...but you feel safe in a tourist area because...you have secret magical can't get killed by bad guy powers?

Seriously. Who thinks the next big target will not be in their highly important tourist industry. Will the police back off the drug gangs if they execute some sunbathers?

Maybe not...but these guys care less and will probably try just to see. Why risk such a dangerous chaotic country?

While your body being collected...the tourism board will announce another suicide.

As for any place being just as bad... Really...do you trust a cop in LA, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver more or less than a cop in Mexico? Is the Mexican cop on the take or just crooked and evil?

I think it is great people respect the country...and figure they are perfectly safe...but really are none of you paying attention to the news? Mexicans don't want to be in Mexico right now. The drug cartels are killing people in every area of Mexico. Politicians, Police, Journalists are all being killed and in large numbers. Immigrants are being killed on mass. The police are powerless to protect even themselves. Law and order is in chaos...

...but you feel safe in a tourist area because...you have secret magical can't get killed by bad guy powers?

Seriously. Who thinks the next big target will not be in their highly important tourist industry. Will the police back off the drug gangs if they execute some sunbathers?

Maybe not...but these guys care less and will probably try just to see. Why risk such a dangerous chaotic country?

While your body being collected...the tourism board will announce another suicide.

As for any place being just as bad... Really...do you trust a cop in LA, Regina, Calgary, Vancouver more or less than a cop in Mexico? Is the Mexican cop on the take or just crooked and evil?

I think most of us have cable, internet and read the papers too.

Anyhow, thanks for the link(s) ;mornCoffee:

Interesting use of logic, too bad you can't apply it to climate change.

Guest Sundancefisher
Interesting use of logic, too bad you can't apply it to climate change.

LOL

so you really want that started up again?

If anything...people should still go to Mexico but be extra cautious. The extreme violence they are seeing is bound to spill over. It is a war between drug dealers and the government with half the police on one side and half on the other. The army is the definer as to seemingly they have more honest guys then less honest. But I strongly doubt they have total control within the army also. When you hear of frequent mass murders with Mexicans and foreigners being targetted and no arrests likely...does that sound like a great place to visit?

We are not talking about poverty and theft and robberies in a third world country. We are talking chaos wherein any police investigating the crimes get killed on mass and the chance of arrests is nil. Judges, lawyers...murdered daily.

Can you justify vacationing in a war zone just because of the illusion of safety. This problem has been getting worse and as third world countries go...if you think there is such as thing as a global warming "tipping point"...you must surely see the escalating violence in Mexico as the prelude to all out chaos "tipping point" within Mexico. Just hope you can get out in time.

How about explain how you feel that this increasing violence makes Mexico a "better" place to visit than it was 5 or 10 years ago?

LOL

so you really want that started up again?

If anything...people should still go to Mexico but be extra cautious. The extreme violence they are seeing is bound to spill over. It is a war between drug dealers and the government with half the police on one side and half on the other. The army is the definer as to seemingly they have more honest guys then less honest. But I strongly doubt they have total control within the army also. When you hear of frequent mass murders with Mexicans and foreigners being targetted and no arrests likely...does that sound like a great place to visit?

We are not talking about poverty and theft and robberies in a third world country. We are talking chaos wherein any police investigating the crimes get killed on mass and the chance of arrests is nil. Judges, lawyers...murdered daily.

Can you justify vacationing in a war zone just because of the illusion of safety. This problem has been getting worse and as third world countries go...if you think there is such as thing as a global warming "tipping point"...you must surely see the escalating violence in Mexico as the prelude to all out chaos "tipping point" within Mexico. Just hope you can get out in time.

How about explain how you feel that this increasing violence makes Mexico a "better" place to visit than it was 5 or 10 years ago?

Check the stats on violent crime in mexico (yes i said stats as opposed to sky is falling opinion). There were far more mruders per capita 5-10 years ago than there were in the last few years. By your logic one should stay away from Montana because the gang violence in LA and Miami is about to spill over. This is about drugs and gangs. All the violence is in specific areas and targets specific people (last time i checked ,canucks in speedos werent on the hit list). Yes people still get victimized in tourist areas ( theft,assault,etc) but like any where else ( calgary included) if you are smart, and dont put yourself in a bad situation you will be fine ( heading to mayan riv. in November :clap: )

Guest Sundancefisher
Check the stats on violent crime in mexico (yes i said stats as opposed to sky is falling opinion). There were far more mruders per capita 5-10 years ago than there were in the last few years. By your logic one should stay away from Montana because the gang violence in LA and Miami is about to spill over. This is about drugs and gangs. All the violence is in specific areas and targets specific people (last time i checked ,canucks in speedos werent on the hit list). Yes people still get victimized in tourist areas ( theft,assault,etc) but like any where else ( calgary included) if you are smart, and dont put yourself in a bad situation you will be fine ( heading to mayan riv. in November :clap: )

Are you going deep sea fishing? I heard November is the best time to be offshore chasing sails and swords?

As for stats...Mexico's murder rate is 3 times that of the US. Corruption is a huge problem with police and judges on the take. If a cop picks you up...chances are you are paying a bribe to escape problems.

In Mexico...if you have any problems your best bet is to flee back to Canada. If they can put any blame on you to say their tourist industry is safe...they will.

Otherwise...be wary of taxis unless the hotel calls for you.

Are you going deep sea fishing? I heard November is the best time to be offshore chasing sails and swords?

As for stats...Mexico's murder rate is 3 times that of the US. Corruption is a huge problem with police and judges on the take. If a cop picks you up...chances are you are paying a bribe to escape problems.

In Mexico...if you have any problems your best bet is to flee back to Canada. If they can put any blame on you to say their tourist industry is safe...they will.

Otherwise...be wary of taxis unless the hotel calls for you.

2010 mexicos 3 highest murder rate cities (based on instances per 100,000 people)

1-Ciudad (border town) 133/100,000

2-Nuevo Laredo ( border town) 95/100,000

3-Tijuana (border town) 38.5/100,000

Mexico City is 4th on that list at about 8 murders per year per 100,000 people. This is roughly the same as Witchita kansas . Again, 80 percent of the violence is in isolated areas of a very big country.

Check the murder rates per 100,000 in American cities and see where the real violence is. New orleans is about 65/100,000. Then theres new york,philly,st louis,detroit,washington,baltimore,newark,oakland,cinncinatti and on and on and on. This doesnt include all the other wonderful crimes americans commit against tourists and each other at rates that totally dwarf any city in mexico.I am planning on taking my family to florida next year(disney world). Thats a trip im worried about.

ps. 10th wedding anny in nov. so not gonna have time to fish ;)

2010 mexicos 3 highest murder rate cities (based on instances per 100,000 people)

Mexico City is 4th on that list at about 8 murders per year per 100,000 people. This is roughly the same as Witchita kansas . Again, 80 percent of the violence is in isolated areas of a very big country.

Check the murder rates per 100,000 in American cities and see where the real violence is. New orleans is about 65/100,000. Then theres new york,philly,st louis,detroit,washington,baltimore,newark,oakland,cinncinatti and on and on and on. This doesnt include all the other wonderful crimes americans commit against tourists and each other at rates that totally dwarf any city in mexico.I am planning on taking my family to florida next year(disney world). Thats a trip im worried about.

Don't ya hate it when logic and fact gets in the way of a good story?

Sundance- you applying for a job with the CBC as a reporter? You are putting as much bias into your reporting as they do..

I remember a few years back when Florida had a program where you stopped and swapped your Canadian plate for a Florida plate instead - back when gangs were stealing road detour signs and using them to send tourists down dead end roads to be robbed. I think almost anywhere is both safe or dangerous depending on how you carry and present yourself. We also have a sweet old retired couple that disappeared out of Edmonton, and no real truth or answers seem forthcoming, and thats a mystery unsolved in our own backyard. Maybe mexicans are scared to come here too....

Sandy and I are going to mexico this winter and ironically the only person I have ever known first hand, to be murdered, was a friend from Lake Louise, he had driven his car back and forth from Costa Rica some odd 20 times without a violent incident, but on his last ever trip driving before retiring, he was stopped and murdered by local corrupt policemen. Despite how #$#$ed up that is - I would not ever let something like that stop me from living my life - I think surpressing the fear of the unkown is something we actively have to do or face become reclusive shut-ins afraid of the world. my 2 cents

Guest Sundancefisher

Captured from Wikipedia?

I think that is 2004 stats you are quoting...but whatever.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja-ar...rate-in-mexico/

Actually the current 2009 rate is 14 in Mexico and 5 in the US. You can find that with more due dilegence. If you look at the stats from a lawlessness perspective...things are unravelling. If you just go to Cancun you may be safer than Washington DC however...it may be the crocked cops that kill you versus a thug robbing you or a drug dealer looking to change government policy.

As the article I looked at earlier does see your point of view...it is easy to forget you are in a third world country. A number of Canadians have taken to seemingly jumping off the balconies for fun and considered suicides versus murders. There is no real police to protect you in Mexico. Therefore...does that not worry anyone?

Obviously anything you read will not stop you from vacationing...but I just hope you take extra care in being street wise there.

Cheers

Sun

Captured from Wikipedia?

I think that is 2004 stats you are quoting...but whatever.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja-ar...rate-in-mexico/

Actually the current 2009 rate is 14 in Mexico and 5 in the US. You can find that with more due dilegence. If you look at the stats from a lawlessness perspective...things are unravelling. If you just go to Cancun you may be safer than Washington DC however...it may be the crocked cops that kill you versus a thug robbing you or a drug dealer looking to change government policy.

As the article I looked at earlier does see your point of view...it is easy to forget you are in a third world country. A number of Canadians have taken to seemingly jumping off the balconies for fun and considered suicides versus murders. There is no real police to protect you in Mexico. Therefore...does that not worry anyone?

Obviously anything you read will not stop you from vacationing...but I just hope you take extra care in being street wise there.

Cheers

Sun

Sun,

your stats still dont support your argument ( about how this violence is all over the country and not in isolated areas). This violence is isolated to northern border towns. It would be like warning people away from fishing in Montana because the gang violence in LA and Miami could spill over. Ive been to Mexico 20 times and never needed the Police ( cant say the same for my trips to the US) so i cant comment on your obsession with corrupt mexican police officers.I do know that for every report i read about crooked mexican police there are 10 such incidents about corrupt american cops. As for the balcony jumpers see my first post about the drunken yahoos who treat locals like whores. If you truly feel you are safer in disney world than cancun then I wont be able to convince you otherwise. best to just stay home an not take chances

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sundancefisher
sigh.......................this is all border town incidents(along with a hurricane warning) in the northern and western non tourist areas.

75% of the murders in mexico are gang/drug related and dont involve tourists ( as opposed to all the collateral damage done by gang members in american cities). Its ironic a country like the states posts these warnings. Its the american appetite for illegal drugs and the american willingness to sell any/all of their various automatic weoponry to the various cartells that breeds and supports this whole problem.

Again,its not like they are shooting up cancun or mazatlan.Its more dangerous to walk downtown in Calgary than along the streets of 99% of mexico tourist towns. It seems that the tourists that get hurt at resort areas( the ones that fall off of balconies) always turn out to be totally drunken yahoos that figure any mexcian woman in a night club or on the streets after dark must be a hooker.In my experience ,if you treat the country and the people with respect you wont have any problems

I still believe...it will progress to tourist attacks. Some would say this does not count as the tourists are Mexican...still...

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/10/02/armed...ists-in-mexico/

Armed gang abducts busload of tourists in Mexico

Gunmen have abducted a busload of tourists in Acapulco, Mexico, a

spokesman for the Guerrero State attorney general's office told CNN on

Saturday.

The 22 people were captured by an armed gang Friday night. All those

aboard the bus were Mexican nationals from the neighboring state of Michoacan