Fly Fusion Forums

Advice On A Starter Fly Rod

ksmitty

i have just bought a temple forks for 130 $ comes with a liftime warranty and is a nice rod i gave it to my girlfriends boy its a great rod it was my first rod too and i still have it, find a cheap working reel and some good line you can be set up for a reasonable price ...i did look around at some other combo stuff that you find at the box stores and stuff in red deer didn't find anything that really stood out some combos for 100$ but i would rather put my money into something more worth while

Go down to one of the local fly shops and test cast a bunch of different rods in your price point. There are lots of good entry level rods around like the Sage Vantage and Flight, some from Redington, and Amundson, plus some others I'm probably forgetting. Buy the rod that feels right to you, not one that feels right to other people.

Have you taken any casting lessons yet? Usually the shops have a few different rods for people to try during the lessons and you might find the right one for you then.

To echo what headscan said, figure out how much you are willing to pay and head out to some shops and test cast some rods. We can all suggest to you what we 'think' will be right for you but ultimately it has to feel right to you (and be in your price range) and only you can decide that.

Colin