Fly Fusion Forums

New To Calgary - First Trip Recommendations!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Alberta (start work in Calgary October 1st) and the first trip is planned for the weekend of the 6-8th of October; just don't know where I'm going yet!

Looking for recommendations for the top pics for a weekend trip, within 2.5 hour drive, and I would like to camp.

I have already got some much appreciated and excellent advice from 'dryfly'.

I look forward to your votes and info.

Thanks!

Bill

I can offer up some great suggestions but before I do, do you know what the weather is typically like in Calgary at that time of year both within the city and in the mountains (if that's where you're thinking of heading)?

P.S. Welcome to Alberta :)

Oh my guess is weather in the mountains probably starting to snow, but still ~10-15 degrees everywhere else. That about right?

I'm not too worried about fishing/camping in the cold. As long as the fish are still biting!

Thanks!

Bill

Ya....snow and sub zero temps at night in the mountains is a good bet.

10 - 15 degrees in October? I've had days cooking a turkey for Thanksgiving where I've experienced that, but I don't know if I'd count on those types of temps for that time of year. The weather here is anything but predictable and seasonal values mean nothing. Don't mean to rain on your camping trip, just want to make sure you know what you're in for. I guess if you are prepared for any and all scenarios you'll do just fine. We can have a fabulous fall here in Calgary, but it's usually pretty shortlived.

If you want southern Alberta (which would be warmer than northern obviously), Livingstone Falls, Dutch Creek and Racehorse Creek off the Forestry Trunk Roads are good campsites (FYI, they just re-opened today apparently after a month-long closure due to extreme fire hazard). If you want something not way up in the mountains, then the campsite at Lundbreck falls in the Crowsnest Pass is nice. The Crow in the fall can be "cosmic" from what I've been told by an esteemed board member.

Your opportunities really are endless if there are no closures. And you won't find crowding at that time of year to be an issue. Just gotta figure out if you wanna go north or south and fish rivers or lakes.

Thanks for the info - gonna look into those spots!

Cool weather will be quite nice. I've been in Houston for the past 3 months (not going back - too hot for this Canadian), and camping in 90+ fahrenheit weather is real nasty - and the fish are real slow! Also looking forward to a lake without people tearing around on jet skis all day.

Bill

hey bill,

welcome. i do a fair amount of fall/winter camping so to give you an idea, last september 16 weekend, went down to the crowsnest pass area - a little south of the rivers that Lynn mentioned, it rained the friday night, woke up to snow saturday morning, it got down to about -5 over night and didn't get over 7 during the day, sunday it was 18.

i've had thanksgiving camping trips in -15 w/snow and +20 in the sun in the waiparous area.

it snowed again down there the weekend of the 26th and i didn't get back down in october. winter seemed to arrive on october 20 for 2 weeks last year then went away again. including freezing rain, snow etc.

you can camp at lundbreck camp site, you have close access to the forestry trunk road from blairmore, or go a little south and fish the castle river system either just before beaver mines or just after, the rivers in the valley include the carbondale, lynx, lost (be carefule of bears), gardner, or go east or north on 22 and fish the old man. or west and fish the crowsnest.

lots of water down there and my favourite of the province. there was no one down there in mid sept last year and i had all the good holes to myself.