Fly Fusion Forums

New Spey Stuff

headscan

• 4 weeks later...
has anyone tried the SA Scandi Extreme Head? how is it compare to airflo?

looking for new Scandi line.

They will not be at dealers just yet. They are similar profile to the Airflo. The grain weight will be slightly different, SA has 280 grain, 320 grain, Airflo 270 & 300 (for instance) . I spent the past season waving a 300 Airflo compact on a trout spey, it is pretty well shot, so the durability factor is similar to Rio. The SA 280 Extreme prototype has seen slightly under a season of equal use, it looks/feels virtually new, still. So, unless it goes to hell very suddenly, the SA should be good for at least a couple of long seasons. The shooting line that I've been using on both is the new SA .021 floating shooting line, best I have ever used. Textured line(no, not Sharkskin) like a golf ball, floats high, no tangles, smooth shooting.

j

I spent the past season waving a 300 Airflo compact on a trout spey, it is pretty well shot, so the durability factor is similar to Rio.

Funny, I've had the same Airflo Compact Skagit 420 since they first came out (2 or 3 years ago?) that has seen tons of use and it shows no signs of wearing out any time soon. Does Amundson have a relationship with SA?

Funny, I've had the same Airflo Compact Skagit 420 since they first came out (2 or 3 years ago?) that has seen tons of use and it shows no signs of wearing out any time soon. Does Amundson have a relationship with SA?

No, not at all. And as I'm not associated with Amundson anymore, there is not even a connection there. I was given the opportunity to test some spey and single-hand lines this year (due in part to my pressing SA to develop compact scandi and spey lines for the trout spey rods that I was involved with at the time) and these are some of the object as possible results. Water conditions that both lines were used on were very similar, except that the SA prototype was used a bit, on stillwater, experimenting with an indicator and 20' chironomid set up, because it seemed to shoot a bit better than the Airflo compact.

Your mileage may vary.

j

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree with Mark, I have well used all my airflo lines and if you know me you know my lines are constantly getting hit by uv light every day all year, were I also store my stuff my lines are constantly going through big tempature changes too, could be very cold in the morning, very hot during the day then cold at night, and still to this day I still use the same line I bought 3 years ago, I fish my spey rod about 100+ times a year and I know other people that use their spey all the time and fish over 200+ days a years and have absoultly no wear in the line.

Only line I ever destroyed was a crappy Rio line which I absoultly hated the tapper of their compact skagit line.

BTW, very impressed with the new Ridgeline cold shooting line.

I have been testing out the frog hair shoot line at .024 nice to hold onto but I do find the line slipping out of my fingers on occassion.

i have had nothing but good luck with airflo compact skagit lines , tough as hell if you ask me , not saying i wouldn't try anything else as i would , i'm needing another compact skagit line and would like to hear some feedback on what else is being made or on the market that one can buy

also some opinions on the best running line thats for sale , some say the new loop running line is pretty good , might even be the best , johnny had it on his new loop reel , pretty costly but he sure like it