Fly Fusion Forums

Creative Punishments...

Got into a discussion last night about creative punishments our parents had for us - i'm 39 and what my mother did to punish me would have her put in jail today... She never beat me, even when I caught the house on fire that one time. She just punished with creativity and embarassment and it really worked.

For example, 9 year old, I was throwing rocks across the main street at the trains and wouldn't you know it, a cop car came by. Smash goes the windshield. Cop talks with mom and I started getting that look from her - you know the one that makes you go "uh oh, i'm in for it now". She never ever got mad, just got even.

Within an hour, I was strapped into the dogs harness and tied to the clothesline on the SIDE of the house in full view of everyone. Neighborhood kids were throwing rocks, poking me with sticks, had a grand ol laugh - sure I had full run of the clothesline but they stayed out of reach of me. To this day, I haven't thrown a rock at anything.

When we stayed at hotels on family vacations and we fooled around instead of sleeping (there were 3 of us - my bro and I who are twins) we got threatened with having to sleep in the bath tub...

Let's just say that I spent many a night with a pillow and blanket sleeping in bath tubs!!

P

My in-laws had a good one that apparently worked well for my wife when she was in her early teenage years...

Her dad threaded a rope through a cinder block and wrote the word "attitude" on it.. whenever she was disrespectful to them, she got to wear the "attitude block" around her neck for awhile.

LOL

I have so many stories on my mothers creativity - maybe that's why I have a bit of a tic today :closedeyes:

Growing up in small town Newfie, e were a pretty rough and tumble bunch, and we could never turn down a chance to educate outsiders in our way of having fun... When I was about 11, my butterball cousin came in from Ottawa wearing a pure white sailor suit - sure did stand out in a crowd. Decided we'd take him fishing down at the local wharf - for lobsters - with a bicycle rim, a net and a can of sardines. yeah, not exactly legal... Long story short he got so excited when we pulled in the first one that he stuffed it under his shirt and took off for home. He squealed like a pig that day - both to his parents and because the lobster got him by one of his boy boobs and wouldn't let go :angel:smail: Later that day he found himself up to his neck in a sewage ditch while still wearing his little white sailor suit - he wouldn't listen to us and decided to take "the path less taken".

I spent about 4 hours sitting out in front of the house with a sign around my neck that said "bad kid" and something else I can't post here...