Fly Fusion Forums

8wt Full Sink?

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

I'm moving up to Yellowknife for my grade 10 year and i've been offered the chance to go fishing a few times before the ice comes over. I'm bringing my 8wt for lakers and possibly my 5wt for grayling. I need a full sink 8 wt line that is fast sinking. I've been looking at the Rio Deep 7 that rio says it covers 5-8wts with a 7-9" per second. I dont want a sink TIP like i want a full sink, i'll be bringing it along with my floating for pike, and then floating and dries for grayling.

Is there any other fly line? Or am i at slim pickings? I know lake trout like to go shallow later in the fall so i can still manage with a floating line coupled by a 10-14' sink tip, otherwise im looking for the fly line that will let me probe the 20-50foot zone.

Thanks

Jeremie

I'm sure the Deep 7 will work fine. It's my full-sink choice too. Anything Type 6 will do the job too, it just comes down to preference.

I lived in Yellowknife for a decade, so I have to ask, where are you going for Lakers, the East Arm? Back in my day Bill Gates couldn't buy a Laker in the North Arm, and my local friends tell me nothing's changed. Some of the best Pike fishing in the world though.

I agree anything thats in that range will do. Scientific Anglers pro series line is another one worth a mention. Big heavy flies and long leaders can also get down a bit . If your fishing from a boat i definantly recommend using a drift sock to slow you down , if you go at any pace the line just lifts up as i found out the hard way!

Guest Jeremie

I wont just be on Great slave, theres a few lakes i've been asked to keep a secret. I have a lake near the house where i can bike ride to and then fly fish for pike in a big flat bay.

I guess i'll be picking up the deep 7!

J - what is the holding depth of the fish in those lakes? Is it consistent? It's one thing to get the flies down deep, it's another altogether when it comes to holding your fly in the fish holding zone - you might be just as likely to fall down, below the fish holding zone. That is a serious consideration. Ask about that before you buy the line as a deep 7 will simply continue to sink on retrieve, except for the more aggressive, fast retrieves. The other consideration is casting the line. It's more shooting and carrying than anything else and you'd best have a really solid rod if you want to use that line. You might look at a type 5 or 6 density compensated line to keep your fly in the right depth zone for your expected retrieve speed/style. If the fish are holding 10 - 30 feet down I'd go D/C 5 or 6. If those fish are 30 - 50 feet down, sure, go D7. I'd hate to see you go with just one line, to be honest. Given what I know about big brookies in Fortress, a lot of different depth zones and fish moods need to be fished in a season, with slower and faster retrieves = a variety of lines and tactics. This could be useful info to you or not, depending on what you've been told.

Cheers

Guest Jeremie

I've got one sinking line that we use for salmon in the open ocean. Its about type 5, so i'll probably stick with that, they will be coming up shallower at this time of year too so it wont be too much of a big deal.

Check out SA sinking head line. I use that for atlantics in the spring, Head is like 28 feet i think(cant remember) and i use the 300 gr on my opti power 8wt. Awesome line . Green with black head. also 250, 350 grain available. Good luck in the north cause theres alot of bigguns there!