Fly Fusion Forums

Streamer Setup For Bull Trout

Sniperj78

Just curious what type of setup everyone prefers for fishing streamers for Bulls and larger Trout? I haven't done very much streamer fishing as I have primarily done dry and nymphing for the past 12 years. I feel it's time to round out my fly fishing skills by adding the streamer to my tactics. What I have read so far is that the key to streamer fishing for bulls et al. is to get the streamer down and hang on. So, just curious what setup the streamer experts are using out there? I assume you need sink tip line and a good strong leader to ensure you don't break off on the strike. What length of leader, or should I even bother with a leader? Maybe just tie on some 10-12lb tippet to the sink tip and be done with it? As for flies? I'm gonna pick up some double bunnies, clousers, and zonkers, I assume that those should suffice?

Thanks in advance for any help. Maybe I'll see you at a nearby pool sometime.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i use an 8wt Redington Predator with the 3ft bass/pike medium sink tip and the Rio Clouser line. It chucks huge rigs, i usually fish a 3+ cone head flies to got down low with the tip.