Fly Fusion Forums

Flats Fishing

Conor

Did some flats fishing this past week. Nothing but sand and water for miles. Knee deep flats fishing crab patterns to picky fish. Permit? Tarpon?

6dqyqx.jpg

qo6rmb.jpg

afa595.jpg

Nope. Stripers and bluefish on the Monomoy Island Flats, Cape Cod Massachusetts. I was blown away by the fishery. We were the only anglers on the flats and saw over 500 fish with a few dozen solid opportunities. Too bad I suck.

2cdidtt.jpg

I caught a small bass, as well, but didn't get a pic (early in the morning). Missed a half dozen good takes, too. Fish were really picky. Lots of nose turning.

Definitely worth checking out if you're in this neck of the woods. I used a walk and wade guide named Randy Jones; he was top notch and has been out there every summer for 25 years. Big tides so safety is important.

The blues and most of the bass just move through on migration. Probably starts in May, definitely June, and continues through the summer. Fall would be just resident bass (big and picky), not sure about winter.

It was just awesome. I hooked that blue at about 20ft. Saw him suck the crab back then peel the fly line off the reel. Through some head shaking jumps in once I got him back close. Can't wait to get back out for another 'family' vacation.