Fly Fusion Forums

Kananaskis Country Question

Just wondering if anyone knows the "rules" regarding streams and rivers inside the K-country boundary. Are you legally allowed to walk above the high water mark? Is there any private property in K-country? Or can you just walk as you please crossing whatever land you'd like?

In K-country proper you are on crown land and are allowed to go wherever you want, however there are a couple of areas that are historical ownership. Notably along the Sheep about 8 km west from the Bluerock Campground. But there are trails through there including the one up to Burns Lake, and I have not had any problems going through there. Now south of K-country in the grazing lease areas you are in a different situation and remember K-country starts about 30 Km west of Longview so most of the land along the Highwood is also private, and I have had some people down there tell me that they own the rights to the riverbank.