Fly Fusion Forums

High Water Fishing

Can you pound the banks (never tried this) with rising water or is it smarter to wait until a steady state is reached? I know there are fish to be had during murky water just need help on the timing.

pound them at any times , but i think it's best after the first day and like you said when it's more steady and stable , i myself like it dirty for throwing big streamers up to the grass on the bank , you don't have to worry about spooking them in close to much . 5 or 6 strips in and then right away , cast again down about a foot or two from the last spot it hit near the bank ,

bigger the splash when it hits the water , the better it seems also , and you have to be hitting that water within a foot of the bank , sometimes add a small split shot to the head of the streamer to get it down fast , i like a 7 ft 14 lb test leader ,

your going to be all tucker out after a few hours so just relax and take lots of little breaks , and you'll lose some skin on your fingers from stripping in lots , but nothing comes close for excitement when it hits the water with a big splash and the water mega blows up ,

good luck

dutchie pretty much nailed it! don't forget that you can fish nymphs to in he slack pockets along shore aswell! larger nymphs and darker ones are the obvious bets!! just make sure too work the water really well!! if iu only have a few inches of visibility you halfto get it within that range!! if you more Than a inch or two away from he fishes face they won't even k ow your flies are there!!

pound them at any times , but i think it's best after the first day and like you said when it's more steady and stable , i myself like it dirty for throwing big streamers up to the grass on the bank , you don't have to worry about spooking them in close to much . 5 or 6 strips in and then right away , cast again down about a foot or two from the last spot it hit near the bank ,

bigger the splash when it hits the water , the better it seems also , and you have to be hitting that water within a foot of the bank , sometimes add a small split shot to the head of the streamer to get it down fast , i like a 7 ft 14 lb test leader ,

your going to be all tucker out after a few hours so just relax and take lots of little breaks , and you'll lose some skin on your fingers from stripping in lots , but nothing comes close for excitement when it hits the water with a big splash and the water mega blows up ,

good luck

In runoff would it make a difference if you were to cast up stream and then strip down stream, i.e. work your way up stream on shore, or to do it the compete opposite?

Thanks,

In runoff would it make a difference if you were to cast up stream and then strip down stream, i.e. work your way up stream on shore, or to do it the compete opposite?

Thanks,

myself i like having it come straight across , a bigger profile for the fish to see , thats if in a drift boat floating , pounding the banks and with 2 guys it really is deadly as your covering the water every foot or so , sooner or later your in his face and sometime i think they hit as it is in his space and they lash at it

now on your question , if i was on shore , i'd be throwing down slightly and across and a couple good upstream mends to slow it down as much as you can , have it swing right into the bank , very slowly bring it in about 10 to 20 feet , do it over again , couple cast and then take a couple steps down and do it again , your covering water ,

I was out last nite here in Douglasdale. Dragged SJW's along the shore. Especially the slow shores where it is slightly under cut. They're hiding underneath. Hell, one practically jumped at my fly as I pulled it outta the water. I caught 2 with one being in excess of 22"