Fly Fusion Forums

Setting Up A Female......

with fishing equiptment, so get your heads out of the water logged gutters......

I have taken a lady friend out a few times now and she has just been using my equiptment, rod, reel, waders, etc.....

She wants to start getting some of her own stuff now. I already have ideas on brands as far as rods and reels go but any thoughs on rod lengths and weights. Rod will do a bit of everything, lake, river, creek, dry fly, nymphing etc. I was thinking 8'6" 5 wt, or maybe 8'4 wt. What about these rods that seem to be specifically marketed towards females now? Other then a smaller grip and the purple and pink colors I can see and tell no difference.

I havent read much along the lines of female specfic waders either. I have seen the Caddis but am leary as they haven't seemed to be making waders till recently. Have also seen the Reddington but have no experience with that brand for waders either. Other then that maybe Orvis?

She isn't looking to break the bank but does appreciate quality.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Wes: I just finished a design mock-up of a "Women's Only", fly rod combo. The limited prototype production should be starting soon. The initial samples will be 2pc 9' 5wt, with smaller cork grip, single foot wire loop guides for less weight. Moderate/fast+ action. It will come with a matching cartridge reel.

NO they are NOT PINK !! After receiving input from about 50+ women fly fishers, some very experienced and some rookies, the consensus was that pink has been done to death.

The prototypes won't be here "next week" or anything, but if the lady would like to test one out when they get here, I would like the first impressions of someone who is relatively new to "our obsession".

Tiana, "ladystrange" will have a couple for evaluation, probably in early August.

j

Aww man......I sand all my cork handles so they are thinner, and when I build my own, the grip is a ring or two shorter that you'd typically see in the store and thinner too. Now I'm gonna get comments like, "Hey, you're fishing with a chixstyx." Thanks Jack!!!!

Aww man......I sand all my cork handles so they are thinner, and when I build my own, the grip is a ring or two shorter that you'd typically see in the store and thinner too. Now I'm gonna get comments like, "Hey, you're fishing with a chixstyx." Thanks Jack!!!!

Geez, why is it that ALL you guys with pansy hands have attitude ??................. Oh wait, I HAVE "pansy hands", too !! Go figure! :)

j