Fly Fusion Forums

Wacky Catches

I was at Payne Lake this weekend with the Hook and Hackle club....while I was casting from shore a CO asked for my license and to see the barb on my hook, but I was snagged. I went out to retrieve my hook and in front of the whole group had hooked the eye of a pickerel rig. He joked that's 4 hooks I'm going to have to fine you.

I caught a muskrat once on a black woolly bugger. Put up a great fight, which led to a real letdown when I saw what it was. I do not advise trying to unhook one by yourself.

Did the same thing about 12 years ago at a stocked pond near Olds. The little bugger went for my feet the second he got his paws on the bank. I had to sidestep him and he kept coming right at me. I cut half my leader off with my hemostats to get him to stop. Unfortunately he took the fly and half the leader back into the water with him.

Over the years I have also caught a gull, a sparrow, freshwater clams, a playboy magazine, an old jacket. There are probably others but this is all I can recall atm.

I caught a bird last summer on my backcast. CDock was with me to confirm. It was pretty fun trying to get him unhooked and let him go!!

A bat! That's even cooler because you know he went after your fly intentionally!!

Confirmed!

Years ago when I started fly fishing I had a baby duck chase my dry fly. I noticed so I pulled it away before he got it. A short time a few days after an adult duck actually took my dry. I wasn't expecting it but he spit it out easily. I once caught a rock. Landed it too. Felt like a fish the whole way cause it was wobbling and pulling in the current.

Guest Jeremie

I caught a seagull while fly fishing for pinks in the salt. He chased down my bait fish pattern coming out of a bait ball. Also caught a squirrel intentionally. Broke a hook off the shank, smeared it in peanut butter and set it down beside a tree. Ate a hot dog and waited. That damn thing followed the peanut butter all the way to my feet. I almost touched him before he realized i was there.

I was at Payne Lake this weekend with the Hook and Hackle club....while I was casting from shore a CO asked for my license and to see the barb on my hook, but I was snagged. I went out to retrieve my hook and in front of the whole group had hooked the eye of a pickerel rig. He joked that's 4 hooks I'm going to have to fine you.

that was pretty funny.

i hooked a rock, started to strip it in, had a fish follow it (wouldnt follow my fly) and then landed the rock.

Last year, I hooked a person in the cheek... well, I hooked myself on the cheek. I'm sure the fish found some irony in that. Thankfully it was barbless.

A couple of years before that when I was fishing the Bow just below Blackfoot bridge, I hooked into something big.... really big. It wasn't a rock because it was moving so slow, and just felt really heavy. At first I thought it could have been a big pike or a big bully, so I got really excited. 5 minutes of "fighting" later, I brought it up to the surface and saw a big heavy jacket. By then I was crapping my pants thinking "please don't let there be a body in the jacket..." It turned out a landed a 4 foot, ~50 lb, sopping wet parka, with no body in it. *phew*

No Idea how I didn't notice it walking up to me, but I once had a fawn get tangled in the coils of line at my feet while fishing for grayling on Tony creek, and I was standing on a rock in the middle of the creek. I noticed just as I hooked into a grayling, but I released the fawn first. Tried not to touch it, so basically shook it out of my line and then landed the grayling.