Fly Fusion Forums

Insect Defend Patch

• 3 weeks later...

Picked some of this up last week and was waiting to try it out. Only $6 for five patches, so why not try it?

Was planning on hitting the river this morning, so I thought I'd try it. Put it on at 7:30 this morning as it suggests you apply it about 2 hours before you expect to be infested by bugs. The only way I knew it was on, is that I could smell the faint scent of mulitvitamins...lol

There were mosquitos about, and I have to say there were none on me. ONE landed on my hand during about three hours on the water and that's about it. I'll use it again.

Oh, I should have mentioned. I also had sunscreen on and it still worked.

I bought a pack of five for a fishing trip up to northern Alberta. I used one each day and can say I was quite impressed. I did have a couple land on me, but I did come home with about half a dozen bites on my head and neck. I will definitely continue to use them.

these things definitely work. i tried it for the second time last night in a very buggy spot. my poor dogs were covered in mosquitos and i didn't get a single bite until today about 22 hours after i put it on. if you saw the pitch on dragon's den this winter (they gave the guy a million bucks) these things are also supposed to prevent hangovers but they're not allowed? to advertise this or something. i have also tested this theory twice and the results are inconclusive. i have a couple of friends who say it really works but so far for me it makes me feel like i drank about half the beer that i really did. for example i woke up this morning feeling like i drank about 8 beer last night but when i clean up the empties there is 16 cans and i dont remember crawling into the tent. this weekend there is a bunch of us camping together and i know at least one night there is going to be some heavy debauchery so my full review will come promptly (maybe) monday morning.

Gave the Defend Patch a test this week for about 4 days running. I'll use them in the future because they do work but I'd say they're only about 80-90% effective so when the bugs get really honkin' bad it's back to 100% effective 100% DEET (I got some saved up)

Guest Sundancefisher
I've also heard good things about these patches, but it is important to note that without DEET they will most likely not protect against ticks.

It should be past tick season now?

Guest Sundancefisher
http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-info/lyme-disease.html

"In Alberta, the highest risk of being bitten by a tick occurs during the summer months from May to August. Areas at higher risk include the foothills, mountains, and aspen parkland areas where ticks are more common."

http://www.ramblers.ab.ca/public/outdoortopics/ticks.asp "Tick season in Alberta is at its peak during the spring. By the end of June ticks are seldom encountered and hikers should be relatively safe. "

As a biologist...I walked and traveled extensively in Alberta for years. Outside of that I was in the bush a lot fishing. Never had a tick. Saw some however. Generally after the Spring your chances of encountering ticks drop a lot. While anything is possible and I am not saying don't avoid ticks or do other preventative measures...you risk is less once Summer hits. I usually found ticks on slopes hanging on low branches and dry grasses along game trails... It was rare to see them.