Fly Fusion Forums

Gravel Supplier - Suggestions

Need a referral or suggestion for a gravel supplier who will dump a pile of gravel over a 6 foot fence. We live on a corner lot and need about 300 square feet for our dog run....don't really want to pull the fence apart and shovelling gravel from the street to the yard is not desirable either. I'm having a difficult time finding a contractor who will do this for some reason. Any suggestions or ideas?

Lynn,

My (twin) bro just ordered a bunch of rocks from Burnco and had mentioned that the service was AMAZING (they even called him from the truck to confirm the location outside his house the day of delivery). Delivery was within a day or 2... I think he mentioned ~$75 for delivery...

I'm ordering some loam/compost from them this week...

P

Need a referral or suggestion for a gravel supplier who will dump a pile of gravel over a 6 foot fence. We live on a corner lot and need about 300 square feet for our dog run....don't really want to pull the fence apart and shovelling gravel from the street to the yard is not desirable either. I'm having a difficult time finding a contractor who will do this for some reason. Any suggestions or ideas?

Hire (Brian) Hawgstopper! :P

P

Lynn,

My (twin) bro just ordered a bunch of rocks from Burnco and had mentioned that the service was AMAZING (they even called him from the truck to confirm the location outside his house the day of delivery). Delivery was within a day or 2... I think he mentioned ~$75 for delivery...

I'm ordering some loam/compost from them this week...

P

I'm guessing the reason they won't do it is because their trucks do not have the abilty to dump over a 6' high fence. Even "stone slingers" (conveyor type unloading) will not be able to do this. Even if they could the weight of a load of gravel would probably push you fence down.

I'm guessing the reason they won't do it is because their trucks do not have the abilty to dump over a 6' high fence. Even "stone slingers" (conveyor type unloading) will not be able to do this. Even if they could the weight of a load of gravel would probably push you fence down.

We've seen guys with bobcats do it in similar situations with both dirt and gravel. Just need to find someone - and I can't believe how hard it is to find an outfit to do this.

Hi Lynn - what your asking would be pretty expensive - might be cheaper to move the fence otherwise you'll likely end up having to hire a second contractor for the skid steer if you use burnco.

I would expore hiring a few local kids for an afternoon and renting a wheelbarrow or two

Hire (Brian) Hawgstopper! :P

P

hahaha... Lynn... I'm doing landscaping in lethbridge and those bloody rocks are HEAVY. getting someone to dump them over a 6ft fence isn't going to happen... dump trucks are just that.... dump trucks. 300 sq ft probably what... 3 inches deep or so? that's for sure 8-10yrds of gravel... which is a FULL dump truck load. Your best bet is seriously.... take out the fence... it will save you hours and hours... but if taking out the fence isn't an option you probably could hire some local kids for a day and pay em... would save the hassle of movin the fence. Is your fence chain link, wooden, or plastic?

good luck with it! Heck with all this dang rain I havent been working for a bit... but I dont miss moving rocks yet!!! :)

Just read back a bit again... Lynn... look for landscaping companies... instead of rock haulers... just tell them you want a pile of gravel that will be dumped in the alley flung over a fence w/ a bobcat. Maybe your lookin in the wrong places. We do that in lethbridge!

That's exactly what I want....a bobcat to throw it over. We just put the fence together last year - it's 6 foot wood with lattice on top. I would take it apart if there was no other way, but I'm convinced they can throw it over with a bobcat...I've seen it done. And now that I know it is done...I shall look for a landscaping company to do it. Thanks Brian!