Fly Fusion Forums

Shooting Line

chiasson

Here's a newbie question if there ever was one. How much shooting line at a time should I spool up on a steelhead/salmon rod for medium sized waters? I was thinking of cutting a spool of miracle braid (150 ft total) in half and lining up two rods. Does this make sense? 75' of braid with a head and leader gives me well over a hundred feet of line before backing, sounds about right to me.

You should be ok with 75' if you're talking about your 5126. I'd say shooting 4 rod lengths (around 50') of running line is pretty respectable on that rod leaving you 25' extra. Not sure how much Miracle Braid costs, but I prefer Slick Shooter at around $12 a spool. For that price buying one spool for each rod isn't exactly going to break the bank.

Yeah, it's for the 5126. I just got it in the mail this morning; I had the day off so I had to go fishing. All I can say is what a blast! Funny thing is, all I have is a 420 skagit short and I ended up catching this guy on a #18 dry with it. There were fish in the pool I was working but they weren't taking anything I was throwing at them. I tried a whack of different stuff to play with the rod, no takers. Anyways, after a few hours they started rising pretty steady and it was too windy to string up the single hander so I put a 9' trout leader on the skagit head and nailed a nice rainbow and a brookie. The rainbow was probably a pound or so and surprisingly put a bent the rod and took a bit of line.

4623260814_3fa36ca1f9.jpg

I'm out east., smaller water and smaller fish, for the most part.

Eastman, we've spoken on here before. You coming to CB still this summer? I'm moving to Wolfville at the end of August. Do you know anything about fishing stripers on the south shore?

I'm out east., smaller water and smaller fish, for the most part.

Eastman, we've spoken on here before. You coming to CB still this summer? I'm moving to Wolfville at the end of August. Do you know anything about fishing stripers on the south shore?

Go up to the Noel Shore are...big fish to be had...

C