Fly Fusion Forums

Tomato Question

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

So i got 2 16"ish tomato plants fomr the garden center and what i was wondering is if i should bluck the flowers off them now?

Usually when a plant has the ability to fruit it will stop growing up and put that energy into fruit production. With the amount of sun i get these buggers could hit 6' and i would like to not stunt them.

Thanks

Jeremy

No. Assuming the plants are robust and growing well you can leave the flowers alone. If the plants were weak and not doing well you may want to remove the first flower cluster.

You will need to know if it is an indeterminate variety (staking) or determinate type (bush) to see how to prune it. If a bush type, then leave it alone. If it is a staking type then the "shoots" at the axils will have to be pruned away. See here.

Clive

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

thanks for the quick info guys. I usually have a very large legal garden every year but im in a new place and have to start from scratch this year.

First year where i have a crazy amount of sunlight to work with.

I wish I had that much sunlight. I tried so hard to grow tomatoes last year - husband even built me a "moving greenhouse" that I moved with the sun as it shifted in my yard every day (I was off work last summer, didn't have alot going on). Draped them in plastic at night, started early, picked late. Abysmal. Good luck! And what Clive said.