Fly Fusion Forums

Aluminum And Carbon Fiber?

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I work for Distinctive collections in the automall now and have found an area of detailing that i have not yet touched. We sell a brand of Dutch car called a Spyker. It has A LOT of aluminum and most all of it is open to the elements....no clear coat no nothing...I was wondering what any of you would recommend for fixing the lighter scratches, swirling, and oxidizing that has set in before i showed up (any sealants or just wax after?).

The other is for Carbon fiber, more and more M3/5/6 have the full roof and the DBS trim inside and out. I know these are gell or accrylic coated so a soft polish pad and not grit are essential but have any of you had experience with products.

price for products is not an issue, we have full swissvax and other very expensive products.

Thanks for the help

Ditto on the autosol - most car and bike guys use more tubes of autosol in a year than tubes of toothpaste LOL - it also leaves a light protective coating behind. that said I only use it on surfaces that don't have a manufacted coating

Note I find it is best suited for non-mechanical application (hand polishing) - felt and fabric wheels tend to overheat it too much and create a disaster

I would be really surprised that those surfaces don't have some form of factory coating- I would be real thorough in confirming that your not inadvertantly removing a factory coating by applying pastes and polishes. I have a set of american racing outlaw two's on my firebird - they are three years old and still look like new and I have never applied any polish because of the factory antioxidation coating - I use dishsoap and water and they still look as good as new

You might try pm'ing Avalanche if he doesn't see this post - looking at his vehicles he must be an expert at polishing aluminum.

Gel coat is very soft (surface wise) - it would almost be a certanty that it has been sealed and clearcoated so I would treat it as such

All that said I think you would benefit from a discussion with the manufacturer of the car

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I will call the spyker and BMW reps tomorrow to confirm. The "Spyker Holland" motor plate is starting to oxidize in spots. This is exposed to the elements through slits in the glass engine cover so i guess some where along the way it has gotten moist.