Fly Fusion Forums

Anyone With Experience In Tanning Rabbit Hides For Zonker Strips?

bowbuster

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with tanning ( i think thats what u call it) rabbit hides for zonker strips. Also have access to bucktails and hides so those also. Will be dying them and again not too sure on that process either. Anyone with some helpful info would be appreciated. Have been google searching but mostly getting answers on how to remove the hair to get just the leather.

Thanks

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with tanning ( i think thats what u call it) rabbit hides for zonker strips. Also have access to bucktails and hides so those also. Will be dying them and again not too sure on that process either. Anyone with some helpful info would be appreciated. Have been google searching but mostly getting answers on how to remove the hair to get just the leather.

Thanks

I can help you with the buck tail end of things. If you don't need the leather to be supple then all you have to do is nail it to a piece of ply wood. once it's good and tight you need to flesh it out, there can not be any meat or tissue left on it. then just apply some coarse salt to the hide. When the salt is saturated knock it off and apply a fresh coat. Continue to do this till the salt isn't absorbing any more. It usually takes 3-5 coats.